Wooden bats for fastpitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JaC

Apr 29, 2023
I'm a wooden bat person. Always have been. I've had my hands on some awesome aluminum and composite bats but still love the feel of the wooden.

As a coach, I use a wooden bat to hit balls to the field. Some of my girls have tried my bat and like the feel.

My question: Is there any issue with the girls using wood bats as long as they're ASA certified?

Jun 20, 2015
besides the lack of distance and smaller sweet spot? why in the world would you purposely handicap players in games??? training sure, I get it.

But in games versus players using most recent bat released, no way.

Dec 11, 2010

I almost ordered one of these as a training bat so many times…… Can get whatever length you want and not have to be careful of trademark. Just did bargain Louisville Sluggers with Lizard Skins instead.

May 13, 2023
I'm a wooden bat person. Always have been. I've had my hands on some awesome aluminum and composite bats but still love the feel of the wooden.

As a coach, I use a wooden bat to hit balls to the field. Some of my girls have tried my bat and like the feel.

My question: Is there any issue with the girls using wood bats as long as they're ASA certified?
What age?

They like the feel,
do they like the results?

May 29, 2015
ASA hasn’t existed in several years … it’s one thing for teams and old umpires/coaches to say it, but if you are marketing a product … %#!^

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Yeah, they love the feeling until game time and they are so far behind hitters with top of the line
composites. You get nothing on mishits...like zero help from the bat. SS is tiny. That flare over the infield
on a mishit...nope, not anymore. How many homers you see go out on a ball that wasnt even squared
up nowadays? A lot! Wood wont do that.
You are literally putting the kid behind everybody else right away you put wood in their hands. Same reason
why major league baseball cant use anything but wood...it would be too much.

I have seen girls use wood in bp and practice. I think its a pretty decent idea there.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
The only place I see wood bats is travel players who also play rec using them in rec. Mostly I see it in baseball but have seen it in softball here and there.

May 28, 2019
I'm selling this bat. It's a 32" bat.

I'm posting just to show the bat that i use at home in the cage. She has the same bat now but a 33", its a blue color. She hits dimples off the machine with the wood bats. Saves her game bats. I too love wood bats but its just for bat speed training and keep wear and tear off her $400 + bats.

Sep 19, 2018
Years ago the modified league I played in went to wood bats. That was an eye opener. Even using clinchers bats were breaking. We definitely spent more on wood than we Weber did on composite bats.

May 27, 2013
Years ago the modified league I played in went to wood bats. That was an eye opener. Even using clinchers bats were breaking. We definitely spent more on wood than we Weber did on composite bats.
The Baum bats seem to hold up pretty well. My ds plays Legion baseball and some of the kids use them. They are more expensive, but don’t seem to break as often.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles