Little League Bans Composite Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Well, I guess I'm in the minority, but I agree. $300 is too much for a bat at that level of play.

Actually, it is too much for any level of play, and that has been my opinion for quite a while. IMO, it is just not worth it.

May 25, 2010
Well, I guess I'm in the minority, but I agree. $300 is too much for a bat at that level of play.

Actually, it is too much for any level of play, and that has been my opinion for quite a while. IMO, it is just not worth it.

Say what you will about being (un)able to determine an individual's intent, but it's pretty obvious to me that the kid's $300 bats fall into the same category as any other item that people hope will denote status by virtue of the outrageous price tag.

Not wanting to digress too much, but parents who pass poor values like these on to their kids are part of the national problem. Our great-grandkids will be learning Mandarin as their primary language if we don't smarten up. Ok, maybe that was a bit extreme, as there's nothing wrong with Mandarin, but high-ticket prices on items which shouldn't be all stem from the same, harmful mentality.

So much easier to just say 'that's too much for a bat', but if people don't understand why, they'll never consider why they pay that much so eagerly. :)

May 10, 2010
What is to much to spend on a bat ? Pitching lessons are what 30 dollars a half hour, hitting lessons are about that also. All a bat is to me is a tool its still the person using the tool. I still find ironic that LL still does not require the boys to wear face masks on batting helments. You do not see LL baseball pitchers wearing a gamefaces or even infielders. I think banning composites will even start happening in FP at some time in the future.

May 10, 2010
LL is about safety. Why are girls reguired to wear face masks on batting helments and not boys. From what I have read and I may be wrong, they are banning baseball composites and not fastpitch composites. I just do not understand the thinking behind that.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Say what you will about being (un)able to determine an individual's intent, but it's pretty obvious to me that the kid's $300 bats fall into the same category as any other item that people hope will denote status by virtue of the outrageous price tag.

Not wanting to digress too much, but parents who pass poor values like these on to their kids are part of the national problem. Our great-grandkids will be learning Mandarin as their primary language if we don't smarten up. Ok, maybe that was a bit extreme, as there's nothing wrong with Mandarin, but high-ticket prices on items which shouldn't be all stem from the same, harmful mentality.

So much easier to just say 'that's too much for a bat', but if people don't understand why, they'll never consider why they pay that much so eagerly. :)

Either a player can hit or they cannot. You can give a kid a $10,000 bat, if she isn't capable of hitting the ball, it just as well be used to hammer base pegs into the ground.

IMO, a player who depends on a bat to be a hitter is no hitter.

BTW, what are they going to do when a kid is killed with a ball off an aluminum bat?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
SoftSocDad,

Thank you for bringing to my attention that I am an idiot who passes poor values on to my kid by spending a few hundred dollars on a bat. Is it also a bad idea to spend a couple of hundred on a glove too? Jeesh, I also spend a hundred on cleats a couple times per year... Oh my God, what have I done? What am I teaching my daughter about the value of a dollar!

Maybe you should adopt my kid so I can't ruin her any more...

In the mean time; I will spend my money the way I see fit. If I want to spend $300 on a softball bat for my daughter there is no one who will stop me from doing it.

By the way; I do not agree with banning composite bats in any sport. I DO support stricter limits and testing on bats and much stricter punishment for those who break the rules.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
The only problem I have with spending $300 on a bat is parents/kids thinks that makes them a good hitter. The $300 bat doesnt work until you have the swing to go with it. When you by all means go out and get that $300 bat!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd