Leaving National Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
What you describe is happening all over the country with many teams where parents are rethinking their disposable income and ROI with travel ball.
The ROI with travel ball is horrible..if you just considered that nobody should play. Really, IMO, nobody should be playing TB if you don't already have a college fund which you are putting money in every month..

Here in OK we can get quality tournaments up through 18U by staying within a reasonable driving distance (CO is about 10-11 hours). IDT/Sparkler, Texas tournaments, Top Club/Alliance Championships (sometimes..) here in OK and tournaments in the KC area. Tournaments further away then that (CA/Atlanta area) would be a once off sort of deal...

Oct 29, 2019
My dd has never played on a “national” team (has had plenty of offers). I coach her 16U team (she’s an 08 but want to play 16’s as long as possible). Our 16U is a regional/local team. This year I have had a ton of interest from players/families that did a national and they are ready to get back staying local. Anyone else experiencing that? Most say they can get the same experience softball wise playing local. They all agree that the price of national teams combined with the economy the way it is, is just too much money. Just thought I’d get a discussion going about it

My kid played on good National level teams the past few years.

She played up on an older team that is local this season because the travel beat me down and I have other kids that are sick of traveling to softball tourneys for vacations.

We did play some good teams and face good pitching but... 16U local < 14U National

The consistency in level of play just isn't there in the local tourney's, and the kids just aren't as competitive. IMHO it's not the same experience:(

Playing local and not spending $10,000 this summer on travel was pretty awesome though, and the older kids on the local team are committing to solid programs.

We are in the Dallas area.

Apr 27, 2020
The ROI with travel ball is horrible..if you just considered that nobody should play. Really, IMO, nobody should be playing TB if you don't already have a college fund which you are putting money in every month..

Here in OK we can get quality tournaments up through 18U by staying within a reasonable driving distance (CO is about 10-11 hours). IDT/Sparkler, Texas tournaments, Top Club/Alliance Championships (sometimes..) here in OK and tournaments in the KC area. Tournaments further away then that (CA/Atlanta area) would be a once off sort of deal...
True, Sadly a lot of parents have been conditioned or groomed that if their DD wants to play college softball they need to spend a ton of money playing at showcase events, getting private instruction, along with the equipment cost, hotels etc .and that is just not the case for many.

In our area SW Ohio/NKY SE Ind. There are a lot of long term good coaches with college connections that are found at the HS level and actually introduce more ladies to college coaches than their travel club does in most organizations.
Now we do have some very competitive travel ball organizations that the ladies use as a pathway to college play but as posted earlier many of the players on these teams are already committed by 16.

I would say across the country many travel ball coaches themselves lack a network of colleges or have not invested the time to become part of a professional coaching network like NFCA or NFHS or gained any coaching credentialing and yet recruit players and parents without a real understanding of all the options available or the requirements of the various levels of post secondary play.
Thus parents end up on teams spending more than maybe they wanted with travel, fees etc and DD ends up playing at a local college anyway. (I consider local within a 2hr drive for most).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I am guessing that a lot of players and their parents bought into the idea that travelling nationally would get them college coaches calling or liked the ego trip of being on a 'national' team. But now realize that their DD isn't P5/D1 material 'cuz there is a lot of great players out there. And, now they can't or don't want the added expenses of travelling nationally. OR, they've been offered from the school they want and don't need more national exposure/expenses.
Good read.

While I do agree there are some people who just bought into thinking if you're traveling nationally that would get someone into college.
Generally People start figuring out what their real priorities and goals are when they see where their kid fits in. And sometimes that's a shocker when the parent goggles come off. Then blame travel ball for how they think they were misguided. Others don't blame travel ball and realize it's been a great experience college ball just isn't for their kid.

However,
Think there is a greater extent of people who know travel ball is a family choice that includes entertainment, Recreation and vacation travel.
With a bunch of social interaction along the way. Probably includes group herding mentality.

Either way not certain exactly how many people plan financially for things versus just pay for stuff and figure it out as they go.🤷‍♀️
Seriously how many people are actually paying attention to what the cost of college is?!

May 20, 2016
My DD played on a national team last year. Was a good experience, played very well. Played good competition. Left after one year. Really not worth it imo. I guess if you want to play SEC or something maybe it makes sense. My DD looking for a mid major type school. Go to their camps, play local showcases, keep $20k in my pocket.

Feb 24, 2022
There is a team in our area that has a national and a regional team...the regional team is better. You don't necessarily have to be a better player to be on a national team, you just have to be willing to travel.

I also disagree that most parents are delusional about the level of competition they are playing and have visions of their daughter playing at Oklahoma. Does that happen, yes. But I don't see a lot of C level girls and parents joining National teams, nor would they take girls at that level. Most girls follow a similar progression - excel at rec, move to local travel/club team, excel there, move to a more competitive travel/club team, excel there - possibly look for higher level state/regional team, excel there then look at a national team. Maybe I'm giving parents too much credit (I know, it's dangerous), but unless your daughter is consistently dominating on an A level regional power, why would you join a national team? I mean, the rankings are easily available for any parent to look at, it's pretty easy to see where your daughter/team falls in the pecking order. Then ask what will make her and your family the happiest. If it's a local team, great. If it's regional, fantastic. If it's national, go for it!

Jun 8, 2016
I also disagree that most parents are delusional about the level of competition they are playing and have visions of their daughter playing at Oklahoma.
Most parents have no clue what a good IF looks like nvm being able to determine how good their kid is compared to the best kids in other parts of the country. Doesn't make them bad people..

Oct 3, 2019
Most parents have no clue what a good IF looks like nvm being able to determine how good their kid is compared to the best kids in other parts of the country. Doesn't make them bad people..
All they need to do is check out the FastpitchMedia clips. Personally, I have yet to see one where a player stands out, excluding pitchers and catchers.

Sep 3, 2015
All they need to do is check out the FastpitchMedia clips. Personally, I have yet to see one where a player stands out, excluding pitchers and catchers.

What?

I’ll admit, it took me a long while to know what a good IF (or player for that matter) looks like.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022

Maybe we just travel in different groups of parents :)

I see some crazies, but the parents I interact with don't have any illusions of grandeur when it comes to their daughter or team's ability.

Again, if your kid is not dominating A level teams regionally I'm not sure where that hubris would come from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA