K zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Correct; I cannot KNOW that. But I can reasonably RECKON based on other observations. That is what I did BEFORE the hit hit the fan. I was right. If the situation arises again (and it will) I would suggest making a wiser decision. There was MUCH GREATER risk in the decision that was made than in the decision that could have been made. If you can't depend on a relief pitcher with a 3-run pad then you get what you get.

Well , thanks for giving us all a coaching lesson. Let me know when you get your major D1 coaching gig. I will be sure to tune in and take notes :)

Oct 25, 2009
Well , thanks for giving us all a coaching lesson. Let me know when you get your major D1 coaching gig. I will be sure to tune in and take notes :)

A major D1 coach can't make mistakes? Players aren't the only ones who can make an error.

And there is a good lesson to be learned. Not just this game, but games in general. If the pitcher has something special going on, like a shut out, perfect game, etc., leave her in the whole game. Otherwise, develop a closer, recruit a closer. Think outside the box (circle).

I think they're great coaches. I've been to a clinic of theirs. Got some of their resources. The team is a great team. But I still believe it was a mistake not to bring in a fresh pitcher after the 6th or 7th inning. Especially since they have a really good one or so.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
A major D1 coach can't make mistakes? Players aren't the only ones who can make an error.

I never said they dont make mistakes. I just dont believe this was one. You do. Difference of opinion. But , I figure the coach knows his team and athletes much better than a bunch of at home arm chair coaches. There is no guarantee that a pitching change would have resulted in anything different. Apparently , the Weeklys felt that was their best option at the time. Almost positive they were trying to win :) It just didnt go their way

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Again, 1 pitch, i error, 11 innings, how may pitches, how intense, game over, MLB rides their aces to a big deficit, thinking they can claw their way back, 7 guys in the pen but they are all over used? Maybe they should look for a new profession? Happens day after day , but when you only have to win 2 out of 3, and you blow the 1st one.?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There was movement, but I don't believe it was as obvious as you make it out to be. Just because there is movement, doesn't mean she left early. Not saying she didn't, this isn't a "guess" call and one, I am sure you know, that the umpire better be damn sure before even thinking about it.

I only have it on ESPN3, so someone who can watch frame-by-frame or slow motion may have a better shot as seeing it. But again, replay and real time are not the same thing. In addition, I don't believe the NCAA bringing the umpire so close to the base helps any.

MTR, I'd love to see you work sometime. You are absolutely correct on the movement. The TB my dd played in taught that movement and so many times our 2 base stolen base threats would be called for leaving early. Some of the games we played in a national tournament were televised/taped and the commentators constantly remarked how our runners were gaining momentum and were not leaving early. Per Ricketts, I can't really say since I only watched it maybe two times.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
If they leave early it's up to the ump to make the call, either he sees it or he doesn't just like any other call, however it's a duty they have when runners are on, or REMOVE THE RULE.

Agree. I'm also seeing the drop/curve people say you don't need............working rather well.

I've watched Ricketts pitch a lot this year and to be honest I don't see a drop curve .....I see a drop ball that is thrown from the left side of the rubber across the plate .....it might tail a little but its not curving IMHO I think she just throws hard and across the plate ....still a tough pitch though

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I understand now, it's the 2nd day, when you are down 3-0, you make the change,glad i figured that out, but maybe there 2 is not as good as the opposition?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've watched Ricketts pitch a lot this year and to be honest I don't see a drop curve .....I see a drop ball that is thrown from the left side of the rubber across the plate .....it might tail a little but its not curving IMHO I think she just throws hard and across the plate ....still a tough pitch though

I'm not saying youre wrong at all, but when you are standing in a straight line 38' from an object, it's almost impossible to "angle" a pitch where it can catch the left side ( P view ) of the plate, and be caught down by the catcher's left foot. The plate is 17" wide, catchers stance is maybe 22"+, and what.......12" from batters rear knee?

That angle could work if you pitched 2-3' to the side of the rubber on a straight angle pitch. But for a period of the 38' it would need to travel straight or be WAY off target. To be able to "move" enough at the end that we see on TV, it would need proper spin to move it horizontally. ( running FB, lefty cutter, drop curve ) Not sure what to call it.

Opinions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl