K zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Why do coaches have problems bringing in a closer?

3-run lead, bottom of the 7th. That's reason enough to bring in fresh legs, new look. And then, OK starts hitting the ball hard. BRING IN A CLOSER! Geez!!

I'm not sticking up for the "over using coaches," but errors don't win either.

Funny how games can swing in the same inning

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm not sticking up for the "over using coaches," but errors don't win either.

Funny how games can swing in the same inning

Exactly the 2nd baseman catches that easy pop and Tennesses most likely wins that game. And where was the 1B going on that pop up? She was off by about 10 feet from where the ball came down, totally misjudged that. No one is talking abut Ellen going too far if that catch is made and she closes it out.

The first triple that made it 3-2, was the girl out at 3rd? It was bang-bang but i thought she got the tag down just ahead of the foot getting in but honestly I don't know for sure. If she's out it is game over right there.

Jan 24, 2011
Exactly the 2nd baseman catches that easy pop and Tennesses most likely wins that game. And where was the 1B going on that pop up? She was off by about 10 feet from where the ball came down, totally misjudged that. No one is talking abut Ellen going too far if that catch is made and she closes it out.

The first triple that made it 3-2, was the girl out at 3rd? It was bang-bang but i thought she got the tag down just ahead of the foot getting in but honestly I don't know for sure. If she's out it is game over right there.

Also , if the ump makes the called third strike call earlier in the inning (Ralph was already headed out on the field) the game would have been over.

Oct 25, 2009
Leaving the pitcher in too long happens way too often. After 5 or 6 innings the opposing batters KNOW the pitcher. Added to that is the pitcher is not as strong as she was the previous innings. Pitching takes a tremendous toll on the body.

If you get a two or three run edge it only makes sense that your second pitcher would be better equipped to handle the next half dozen outs. And might even gain a little confidence for starting the next game.

This happens all the time in HS but in HS there is usually a big difference in skill levels between pitchers on the team. If there is even more than one pitcher.

I just can't believe as good as the Weekly's are that they don't realize the mistake of not having a closer. Maybe this will open their eyes. But they've given OK too much momentum at this stage, I believe. If they win now it will be a miracle.

Jan 24, 2011
Leaving the pitcher in too long happens way too often. After 5 or 6 innings the opposing batters KNOW the pitcher. Added to that is the pitcher is not as strong as she was the previous innings. Pitching takes a tremendous toll on the body.

If you get a two or three run edge it only makes sense that your second pitcher would be better equipped to handle the next half dozen outs. And might even gain a little confidence for starting the next game.

This happens all the time in HS but in HS there is usually a big difference in skill levels between pitchers on the team. If there is even more than one pitcher.

I just can't believe as good as the Weekly's are that they don't realize the mistake of not having a closer. Maybe this will open their eyes. But they've given OK too much momentum at this stage, I believe. If they win now it will be a miracle.

I probably would not have made the switch either. Ellen had shut out the top offensive team in the nation for 10 innings. I would take my chances. They are getting hammered for not changing , but they would have as well if they switched and Ivy gave up the walk off.

BTW... I bet that if it had gone another inning , OU would not have pulled Ricketts either

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I probably would not have made the switch either. Ellen had shut out the top offensive team in the nation for 10 innings. I would take my chances. They are getting hammered for not changing , but they would have as well if they switched and Ivy gave up the walk off.

BTW... I bet that if it had gone another inning , OU would not have pulled Ricketts either

That's the best part of coaching, a risky decision either makes you the smartest guy on the planet.......or the dumbest. Always depends on the outcome. :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
FWIW, I had zero problem with the decision to send Ellen out for the 11th. Now after she allowed 3 in the 11th I was a bit surprised Ivy wasn't in for the 12th.

Oct 25, 2009
Most of the games I watch in baseball, when the pitcher shows the first sign of getting hit hard in the later innings he comes out.

If she shouldn't have been pulled after the 10th, she should definitely have been pulled after the first run; or even when there was a threat. They hadn't been hitting her like that in previous innings.

I said it before it happened. Not second-guessing. It happens in a lot of games. Just because a pitcher gets away with it doesn't mean they should have stayed. It just doesn't make good sense when you have a 3-run lead and excellent, fresh pitchers sitting on the bench. It cost them the game—period.

Jan 24, 2011
Most of the games I watch in baseball, when the pitcher shows the first sign of getting hit hard in the later innings he comes out.

If she shouldn't have been pulled after the 10th, she should definitely have been pulled after the first run; or even when there was a threat. They hadn't been hitting her like that in previous innings.

I said it before it happened. Not second-guessing. It happens in a lot of games. Just because a pitcher gets away with it doesn't mean they should have stayed. It just doesn't make good sense when you have a 3-run lead and excellent, fresh pitchers sitting on the bench. It cost them the game—period.

There is no way in hell you can know that. Pure speculation and second guessing. The error most likely cost them the game.

Oct 25, 2009
There is no way in hell you can know that. Pure speculation and second guessing. The error most likely cost them the game.

Correct; I cannot KNOW that. But I can reasonably RECKON based on other observations. That is what I did BEFORE the hit hit the fan. I was right. If the situation arises again (and it will) I would suggest making a wiser decision. There was MUCH GREATER risk in the decision that was made than in the decision that could have been made. If you can't depend on a relief pitcher with a 3-run pad then you get what you get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl