K zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Agree. I'm also seeing the drop/curve people say you don't need............working rather well.

yeah I noticed that too. Especially with the left handed pitcher who was dominating the left handed batters with it. Doesn't she know that when she throws it, it gets on the same plane as the bat angle? Just think how good she would be if she dumped that loser pitch.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
They didn't show the best angle, but who else thought the catcher's foot twisted off and in front of the plate on that force out in the 9th inning? I thought she came off the plate before she caught the ball. Game should have been over then.

Oct 25, 2009
Why do coaches have problems bringing in a closer?

3-run lead, bottom of the 7th. That's reason enough to bring in fresh legs, new look. And then, OK starts hitting the ball hard. BRING IN A CLOSER! Geez!!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
LIKE ABOUT 3 X, glad some one else saw it,, why don't they call it, did they buy tickets to watch the game?

There was movement, but I don't believe it was as obvious as you make it out to be. Just because there is movement, doesn't mean she left early. Not saying she didn't, this isn't a "guess" call and one, I am sure you know, that the umpire better be damn sure before even thinking about it.

I only have it on ESPN3, so someone who can watch frame-by-frame or slow motion may have a better shot as seeing it. But again, replay and real time are not the same thing. In addition, I don't believe the NCAA bringing the umpire so close to the base helps any.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Why do coaches have problems bringing in a closer?

3-run lead, bottom of the 7th. That's reason enough to bring in fresh legs, new look. And then, OK starts hitting the ball hard. BRING IN A CLOSER! Geez!!

Of course hind site is 20/20, but I was thinking the same thing. The problem is the "structure" of FP pitchers. The way things are now, if you pull someone who has successfully pitched __# of innings, it's degrading or an insult. In baseball it's just the opposite, Tom starts and does his job __ innings, Tim relieves and does his job __ innings, Jeff closes. There is no insult, no feelings to walk on, it's a routine and a formula. I believe for it to be successful in fastpitch it would need to be introduced all season. The "mind" would be the biggest obstacle to get over with your pitchers. They've been programmed too long.....one way.

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag too much. But I know a college who will try to be the Billy Beane of fastpitch bullpens next season. He has been recruiting based on starters, reliefs, closers and specialty pitchers. Which I find fascinating and can't wait to see how it works. It's something I always wanted to try in travelball but didn't have the "pen" or resources to do it. It reminded me about the line in Moneyball, "the first one over the wall always gets bloody". BUT, what if he is successful? It could possibly change the way some look at the circle.

Of course hind site is 20/20, but I was thinking the same thing. The problem is the "structure" of FP pitchers. The way things are now, if you pull someone who has successfully pitched __# of innings, it's degrading or an insult. In baseball it's just the opposite, Tom starts and does his job __ innings, Tim relieves and does his job __ innings, Jeff closes. There is no insult, no feelings to walk on, it's a routine and a formula. I believe for it to be successful in fastpitch it would need to be introduced all season. The "mind" would be the biggest obstacle to get over with your pitchers. They've been programmed too long.....one way.

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag too much. But I know a college who will try to be the Billy Beane of fastpitch bullpens next season. He has been recruiting based on starters, reliefs, closers and specialty pitchers. Which I find fascinating and can't wait to see how it works. It's something I always wanted to try in travelball but didn't have the "pen" or resources to do it. It reminded me about the line in Moneyball, "the first one over the wall always gets bloody". BUT, what if he is successful? It could possibly change the way some look at the circle.

That was my biggest surprise tool, going on the 3rd or 4th time through the line up maybe even fifth after so many innings, even if you have been getting hitters out...they are going to make adjustments...why not give them something different to look at. My biggest regret coaching this year was doing exactly this leaving pitchers in too long...never again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl