Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Lol
In baseball they build up the mound so the pitcher has an advantage over the batters.
In fast pitch the pitcher leaves the Earth for a couple inches and holy mackerel its 100-year discussion...😁

Feb 15, 2017
Yes, some skippies are successful, but not due to their mechanics but despite their mechanics. And yes once the leap is allowed at all levels and it will be, pitching instructors myself included will incorporate it into their teachings. But the teach will be along the lines of more leg drive/explosion off the rubber and a focus on getting out and generating more ground force. Not unnatural, forced opening resulting in the upward movement and the loss of some of the 4 points of resistance. The object of the exercise to to get all the force possible going toward the target, then generating resistance... Altitude may get you a closer release point resulting in a shorter TOF but the downward force is wasted.
There's already a coach it in the Orlando area who has been teaching it for years and tell their students do it until the umpires call it. Then when the umpires call it the pitcher, parent, and coach all freak out.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Without question dragging is not conducive to better pitching. At some point I expect to be teaching no contact of the back foot to the ground until after the front foot makes contact. Currently I want to see just enough drag to be legal. The question going forward will be how much altitude. I believe that less is more. One result of allowing the leap may be the lessening of the canyon typically found in front of the rubber.
Which will produce a faster pitch speed up or out? I'm thinking out?

Jul 19, 2021
Which will produce a faster pitch speed up or out? I'm thinking out?

You’re not thinking about it the important part. The question you want to ask is, what will make your body have more velocity when pushing off, dragging a foot or not dragging a foot? It’s simple. Dragging a foot slows you down. It’s like an anchor. Slower drive means slower pitches.

I mean in the simplest terms, why are walk throughs faster? There’s your answer on why leapers have an advantage.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Then why have rules?
?no humor Shiloh?
Apparently you haven't read my other posts.

I'm not the one complaining about the rules.
I let umpires do their job knowing irregular officiating happens.
I intend to hit the ball no matter what the pitcher does!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015
Other than maybe RAD, I am clearly in the minority on this, but I remember being floored and honestly sort of embarrassed that the longest (or close to the longest) non-sticky thread in the pitching forum was about KB's leaping--and now this. You have someone who was in high-school last year throwing a remarkable game to start the season, bouncing, kicking the dirt, and strutting around like George Jefferson--all the confidence in the world, and the stuff to match it. And all anyone wants to talk about are the rules and how they should be followed? The only evidence of a rule violation that I have seen is a still photo showing her two inches off the ground, which would indict almost every pitcher at some time or another (including some all-time greats, as others have said), and totally unsubstantiated opinions that this two inches somehow provides a massive advantage, for which no one has provided any evidence.

I get this is a discussion board where anyone can say what they want, but I think some assessment of what Bahl does well, and what younger players might try to emulate, would be a lot more useful.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Other than maybe RAD, I am clearly in the minority on this, but I remember being floored and honestly sort of embarrassed that the longest (or close to the longest) non-sticky thread in the pitching forum was about KB's leaping--and now this. You have someone who was in high-school last year throwing a remarkable game to start the season, bouncing, kicking the dirt, and strutting around like George Jefferson--all the confidence in the world, and the stuff to match it. And all anyone wants to talk about are the rules and how they should be followed? The only evidence of a rule violation that I have seen is a still photo showing her two inches off the ground, which would indict almost every pitcher at some time or another (including some all-time greats, as others have said), and totally unsubstantiated opinions that this two inches somehow provides a massive advantage, for which no one has provided any evidence.

I get this is a discussion board where anyone can say what they want, but I think some assessment of what Bahl does well, and what younger players might try to emulate, would be a lot more useful.
YES look for the success!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan