Defacing the Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
It's interesting that this discussion came up. This happened to my daughter over the weekend. I looked over at her between innings and she was grinding the ball around in the dirt by the rubber. I've never seen her do that, and remarked to my wife that it's illegal and figured there was a chunk of dirt in the seam or something. She told me later that the ball was slick.

Inning starts, and ump calls dead ball during her first pitch, sternly yells out that she can't do that, then swaps out the ball.

I remarked on it to a buddy of mine who had a friend there who disagreed about the legality because daughter plays for a high school in that state, and she said their team's coaches rub the new balls into the turf every game.

I've never questioned the legality of it. Everyone should know you can't intentionally alter the surface of an object that can have its trajectory altered by surface imperfections.

I have actually seen an umpire do it. It was before a game I was coaching. I look over and he's rolling them around under his shoe, then says he's trying to get the oils off the surface.

May 21, 2018
So, I guess the answer is to have your pitcher induce a bunch of ground balls so the surface can be 'defaced' naturally.

"Defaced by Nature" would be a good band name.

Apr 13, 2022
Top of the first, one out, second batter of the game, full count. Umpire gives the pitcher a slick, brand new ball. While NOT in pitching position, she drops the ball and rolls it on the ground to make it less slick. The next pitch is a ground out at 1B for out #2. Blue calls delayed dead ball/illegal pitch for "defacing the ball" which changes the ground-out to a BB. Pitcher is obviously upset and the next batter hits a double (runners now on 2nd and 3rd). Pitcher strikes out the next batter for out #2 (should have been out #3). Next batter hits a 3-RBI home run which ends up being the team's game-winning runs (final score 3-2).

In the 2024 NFHS Softball Rules Interpretations, Situation 2 C & D "defacing the ball", states this action as being illegal with no rule book citation. When one looks for the rule in the rule book, no such rule seems to exist. "Defacing the ball" is not defined in the rule book. The only pitching infraction that results in a delayed dead ball is 6-2-1, which is unrelated. Rule 6-2-2 addresses "non-approved or foreign substances" being applied to the ball; and dirt is specifically stated as not being a "foreign substance".

Help me out! How can a softball that has touched the dirt be considered "defaced"!! How can a NFHS rules committee publish "Rules Interpretations" or Case Books explaining rules that do not exist. When a rule is emphasized or explained, the actual rule should be cited!

If anyone can enlighten me on the specific rule in the NFHS Softball Rule Book that is violated when a pitcher uses dirt to improve her grip on a ball, please do so. The notion that a softball is "defaced" when it touches dirt is beyond ridiculous!

Top of the first, one out, second batter of the game, full count. Umpire gives the pitcher a slick, brand new ball. While NOT in pitching position, she drops the ball and rolls it on the ground to make it less slick. The next pitch is a ground out at 1B for out #2. Blue calls delayed dead ball/illegal pitch for "defacing the ball" which changes the ground-out to a BB. Pitcher is obviously upset and the next batter hits a double (runners now on 2nd and 3rd). Pitcher strikes out the next batter for out #2 (should have been out #3). Next batter hits a 3-RBI home run which ends up being the team's game-winning runs (final score 3-2).

In the 2024 NFHS Softball Rules Interpretations, Situation 2 C & D "defacing the ball", states this action as being illegal with no rule book citation. When one looks for the rule in the rule book, no such rule seems to exist. "Defacing the ball" is not defined in the rule book. The only pitching infraction that results in a delayed dead ball is 6-2-1, which is unrelated. Rule 6-2-2 addresses "non-approved or foreign substances" being applied to the ball; and dirt is specifically stated as not being a "foreign substance".

Help me out! How can a softball that has touched the dirt be considered "defaced"!! How can a NFHS rules committee publish "Rules Interpretations" or Case Books explaining rules that do not exist. When a rule is emphasized or explained, the actual rule should be cited!

If anyone can enlighten me on the specific rule in the NFHS Softball Rule Book that is violated when a pitcher uses dirt to improve her grip on a ball, please do so. The notion that a softball is "defaced" when it touches dirt is beyond ridiculous!
Dogpatch,

While I can definately see your frustration I know as a HS coach myself that I, and my pitcher, have also been told that they may not do this (use dirt to rub up the ball). It was stated to me that dirt WAS considered a foreign substance. I at the time did not have a rule book in front of me and had just taught my pitcher how to "rub up a slick ball" about 30 minutes prior to this incident so I was certainly suprised and annoyed by the ruling. Although I can not comment directly to the rule book I can say that we began rubbing up ALL balls PRIOR to the game so that our pitchers would never be given a slick ball that they had to worry about. Obviously this only works if you are the home team and control which balls are "game balls" and tournaments are a whole other different story but I definately share in your frustration!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Rules or otherwise. If your pitcher can’t pitch with a ball right out of the wrapper she won’t be pitching long term. If she wants to trade balls with the ump over and over because she has a “favorite” between the balls that are in the game, she won’t be pitching for long. If the ball being damp impedes her ability to pitch… If you allow this perfect ball syndrome to stay in your dd’s head, she won’t be pitching for long. Train them to throw the ball they have. And if during the game it gets a bit rougher or easier to grip, good. But she has to be able to pitch it when it’s pristine as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves