It is never over until it it over...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Val coaches 1B. She said that she was thinking about how to best handle the loss in the post-game meeting, and lost track of the score...

From the Aurora Beacon News:

Waubonsie Valley notches 17th straight win, rallies in seventh to shock Neuqua Valley

Waubonsie Valley softball coach Valerie Wood had to count the runs in her head to be certain.

But, yes, they added up to one improbable win.

Down to their last out, with a month-long win streak in jeopardy, Wood’s Warriors strung together five straight singles in the bottom of the seventh Tuesday to stun Neuqua Valley 5-4 for their 17th consecutive victory.

Shannon Hohman’s bases-loaded single squirted by the center fielder, and host Waubonsie’s merry-go-round to home plate ensued.

“I honestly didn’t even know we had won. I was just excited they were all scoring,” said a giddy Wood. “My assistant and the umpire were like ‘That’s five (runs), right?’ And everyone went crazy. I’m not going to lie; I had been preparing myself (for the loss).”

Waubonsie (23-5, 13-1) last lost April 12, but things looked bleak for Hohman and the Warriors when Neuqua (15-11, 11-3) scored a pair of insurance runs to go up 4-1 going into the last of the seventh.

Waubonsie’s first two batters popped up harmlessly.

“I’m nervous there,” Hohman said, “especially when I’m the pitcher and some of those runs are earned and on me. But we knew the top of our lineup was up.”

Layne Thresh’s single started things, Jordan Kurth and Melaina Koulos followed with singles and Amanda Lack singled in Thresh to make it 4-2.

Jumping on the first pitch, Hohman lined a single to center and the craziness ensued.

“I’m a sucker for the first pitch,” Hohman said. “As a pitcher there, you want to get ahead in the count, especially when the bases are loaded. I got in there and said to myself ‘It’s coming. See ball, hit ball.’”

It’s the second time in eight days Waubonsie beat Neuqua in its last at-bat. The Warriors, who moved two games up on the Wildcats in their quest to three-peat as Upstate Eight Valley champs, also won 4-1 in eight innings in Naperville.

“Nothing is better than beating our rival school,” Hohman said. “Stealing this is a comfortable feeling.”

“It was a good game. It stinks that we lost,” Neuqua coach Melissa Wilson said. “My girls are frustrated. They worked hard for that game. We lost the same game last week.”

Hohman and Neuqua’s Megan Bilgri matched zeroes for five innings until Neuqua broke through in the sixth. Dominica Lange’s sacrifice fly scored Jenny Budds, and Colleen Hill doubled in Jamie O’Brien.

Meghan Grannan’s RBI single in the bottom of the sixth cut the margin in half, but Budds and O’Brien both had two-out RBI singles in the seventh to seemingly put Neuqua in the driver’s seat.

O’Brien was 3-for-3 and reached base four times for Neuqua. Hohman struck out seven for Waubonsie.

The two teams each mustered just three baserunners through four innings — then combined for 14 hits the last two.

“Waubonsie did what they needed to do. They’re a great team,” Wilson said. “As much as it stinks to lose I know we can compete with one of the best teams in the area.”

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2013
I was able to watch this school twice....what stood out to me was how they get along with each other. I have only seen 2-3 hs teams that enjoyed playing this game together like this team does (I have seen 20 plus teams in the Chicago land area. Great leadership on this team.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
17 wins in a row is a milestone, very nice.

In my experience, few head coaches.......coach from first. Not to hijack Val's team and their ride, perhaps a new thread, what might be the pro's / con's for a head coach at first?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ray,

THAT IS OUTSTANDING! Congratulations to Val and her team. Val has done such a great job of pulling this team together to have an outstanding season. I hope her team gets to go deep into the playoffs!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck