The ride looks like it is over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2015
DD is a senior in college so her journey is fast coming to a close. When she left for college I kept my job as assistant coach on her travel team. It has been good except for the rides home from tournaments. It is kinda lonely without dd in the car.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I coached her a few years and I'm too much of a people pleaser to coach travel ball any more. Worry too much about what people are thinking. Will not ask wife to go to a tournament without DD playing and i would hate that ride home. But rec ball could be an option.

Oct 4, 2018
Similar situation for me. Last travel travel tournament was in June. Daughters off to college, and more time than I know what to do with.

My case was easier. I played a ton of golf growing up, but had barely played the last decade, and not at all the last 3 years. Decided to build a new setup from scratch, and jump back into golf. Fitted for irons last weekend, and doing driver/3W/wedges this weekend. Only club staying with me is my putter that I've used since high school (long time ago...)

Ah yes, this is on my list too. Played competitively in high school and none in the last 10 years. I do want to take it back up. Not sure who I'll play with, but perhaps find a gang of new golfing friends.

You have buddies who play?

May 13, 2023
DD is a senior in college so her journey is fast coming to a close. When she left for college I kept my job as assistant coach on her travel team. It has been good except for the rides home from tournaments. It is kinda lonely without dd in the car.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
That is beautiful and wonderful sentiment!

Oct 4, 2018
I coached her a few years and I'm too much of a people pleaser to coach travel ball any more. Worry too much about what people are thinking. Will not ask wife to go to a tournament without DD playing and i would hate that ride home. But rec ball could be an option.

You sound like me. I worry about being liked too much.

And umpiring would sound fun if the parents weren't such jerks.

May 13, 2023
You sound like me. I worry about being liked too much.

And umpiring would sound fun if the parents weren't such jerks.
You could always umpire just to be able to tell coaches hey coach shut your fans down!
Ya' know POWER over it 😎 🤷‍♀️maybe?

Apr 1, 2017
Ah yes, this is on my list too. Played competitively in high school and none in the last 10 years. I do want to take it back up. Not sure who I'll play with, but perhaps find a gang of new golfing friends.

You have buddies who play?
Have neighbors/coworkers that play, and most of my friends from growing up still play, just a little bit of drive to go see them.

I was a scratch player through mid 20's. Then job/kids/life took over. For the past few years I kept saying "this will be the year I start playing again", but never made the push to do it. Finally going out last weekend to start the new clubs process really got the juices flowing. I'm excited about starting again, even though it might be snowing here by the time I'm setup....

Random sidenote... the technology in golf today, compared to 20 years ago when I played a lot, is insane. People argue here about Ghost vs LXT vs etc., but in golf, even once you decide "Ghost" are the clubs for you, there are 100 different variables in setting up that.

Aug 21, 2008
If you love the sport and the game, why is it over? there's HUGE demand for coaches who don't have a kid on the team.

Plenty of opportunities to stay involved, someone else mentioned umpiring.

The game needs good people. I hope you stay involved somehow. It might not be the same as it was with your own DD but, you can still help others.

Aug 23, 2016
Some of the best coaches that DD ever had were guys who kept on coaching rec ball after their kids' playing days were over. One guy was around long enough that he coached three generations of players. Another guy went back to be an AC after his daughters were done playing in college. Both of them were great for the game and great for the girls who they worked with. DD was ready to make the jump from rec to travel partly because of the lessons these two guys taught her. Rec needs coaches who care and are knowledgeable.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021
Helping out with a local rec league makes a lot of sense. Stay involved with softball but you don’t have to travel on weekends as much. Who knows you might have a granddaughter down the road that will benefit from a strong rec league in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles