That’s Never Called! (A pretty straightforward interference)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
That’s never called!
But it’s the rule
But she wasn’t moving
Doesn’t matter, she has to avoid the fielder
The umpire in charge last time said it shouldn’t be called
But it’s the rule
But it was a foul ball
That could have been caught with routine effort
But, but he said it couldn’t be called on a foul ball
Well, he was wrong, the rule says otherwise
I know the rule
I’m not sure that you do
That’s never called
Well, today it was

R3, 2 outs, foul fly ball, runner takes her lead, F5 runs into her on the way to the ball - interference, runner out.

11 games this weekend, but this was my favorite coach interaction. (And really the only memorable incident- coaches and parents were on great behavior this weekend).

May 29, 2015
15 games this weekend and here is what the coaches taught me ...

*The plate umpire CANNOT call a check swing a strike, only the base umpire can do that.

*When two umpires get together on a call, the conversation MUST be divulged if the coach demands it. They told me that one is actually in the rulebook (if I ever bothered to read it, I would know that). I suppose I also have to tell them if I am an undercover cop if they ask.

*That there is not a rule that the player has to slide, but they still have to slide or they are out. I guess that is by non-rule (again, if I ever read a rulebook, I am sure I would find it not there under the section for runners).

*That the parents should be able to appeal a runner missing a base (because they were yelling at the coach who didn't appeal it ... and it would have ended the game early).

That was two different teams within the same organization. Doing a good job with training coaches over there.

Jun 20, 2015
had one this weekend. runner at 2b. grounder directly to SS, she charges the ball and runner runs into her. Coach at 3rd storms out and starts screaming about baseline and how fielder needs to move, etc.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
15 games this weekend and here is what the coaches taught me ...

*The plate umpire CANNOT call a check swing a strike, only the base umpire can do that.

*When two umpires get together on a call, the conversation MUST be divulged if the coach demands it. They told me that one is actually in the rulebook (if I ever bothered to read it, I would know that). I suppose I also have to tell them if I am an undercover cop if they ask.

*That there is not a rule that the player has to slide, but they still have to slide or they are out. I guess that is by non-rule (again, if I ever read a rulebook, I am sure I would find it not there under the section for runners).

*That the parents should be able to appeal a runner missing a base (because they were yelling at the coach who didn't appeal it ... and it would have ended the game early).

That was two different teams within the same organization. Doing a good job with training coaches over there.
Thank you. I have gone back and edited my copy of the rulebook in ink to include these new rules. ;)

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Watched a bunch of games this weekend. A few travel, one of my own, plus a 10u "All-Star" game (rec league, in-house game).

Aside from the one umpire who was allergic to C position, the only "issue" was in the All-Star Game. The volunteer parent umpire dropped a dreaded "hands are part of the bat" when a girl got hit on the hands with a pitch. She wanted to keep batting anyway, and eventually got a hit, but I did let him know that the hands are, in fact, part of the body and not the bat.

Someone (not it) needs to make a list of those simple, most common rule myths, and we need to distribute it to all parents/coaches somehow.

Apr 14, 2022
I know coaches do not have the luxury but I think parents could benefit from 30 seconds on google prior to getting upset about a call. Most of the time umps get it right or at least show reasonable judgement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad