Importance of Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
I think that many will evaluate players on #1 Speed, #2 Defensive skills , #3 offensive skills. The reason being that speed doesn't have a slump, it's helping you in all aspects all the time, solid mechanics on defense yield solid defensive play most of the time, solid mechanics on offense yield varying results. If you see a fielder field a ground ball crisply and snap off a great throw, your reasonably confident that she will be able to perform that skill from 10 ft in either direction and even on the other side of the field. If you see a kid perform well on offense, you don't really know if that will translate against other pitching (faster, slower, more movement), or whether the kid is just having a good/bad day. Performing well on offense is better than performing poorly, but in a tryout situation it's a universal truth for coaches that results between the batting cage and the games may vary, and vary widely.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If they can throw, I can teach them to hit.

I work on their throwing before a hitting lesson, even.

I know college coaches that want to see exactly what your MS coach asked for.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I know everyones situation is different. If she is a good player, Id get on a travel team and play/practice year round with them. That would be far superior to any middle school team. If the coach is serious and knows how to teach, and wants to field a good team, he will look for strong throwing arm, speed, and overall athleticism. He can teach basic skills, cant teach ability though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG