Knee surgery next month sadly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Thank you all. DD's surgery went very well, but Dr had to do more work than what he planned - she is out 3 months minimum and wearing a huge brace for the time being. I assume she will come back and be stronger, faster and even more agile than she is now. We shall see.
So glad to hear she did well with surgery! Sending healing vibes her way.

Oct 16, 2019
Stitches out yesterday and healing well, but was told the meniscus Dr had to cut back from 90% to 40% coverage, actually had a 90% tear in it as well. Due to the extensiveness of the surgery, her rehab is now 5 months and not 3 - they want to be conservative. So, with that news, I won't be attending quite as many games/tournaments this year as she will be out all summer. My oldest plays volleyball and my youngest swims, middle DD was only one left playing softball. I have already promised to take her to as many tournaments as possible with her summer/travel team. Thank you all for the well wishes. I actually relayed them to her and got a smile.

Oct 16, 2019
I have an update. We met with Dr Jasko at Marshall U this week and he said DD is healing extremely fast and therapy was working great. He wants her back in six weeks and may, just may, fully release her to play ball two full months earlier than he expected; he did release her for the swim team practices - which made her extremely happy. He said her surgery was the only one of its kind he has done and he will probably write it up and submit it to be published. With that said, she may get in a few tournaments. She has already let me know she is fearful about how strong it is going to be. We will hopefully start light jogging next week (if PT will allow) to get her ready and let her know she will be able to do what she wants - her knee hopefully will be better than it ever was before due to having from birth an abnormally large meniscus that caused her to have a "popping" knee.

Oct 16, 2019

DD did not get released early as expected. Needs a little work and you can see how she is light on the left leg when she moves to throw. Arm is fine and rested, leg needs some extra care. She was extremely disappointed with the Dr appt, but now she works for an August release.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019
Good news. On her 12th birthday yesterday, DD got her full release from Dr. Jasko at Marshall Sports Medicine. To say DD is happy and excited would be an understatment. Dr stated that he will start on a paper to be submitted to medical journal(s) (which ones I have no idea) regarding her unique knee, the injury, surgery, and recovery - she had to go full circle before he could write it, which makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802