idt in colorado this week

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
and when we remember that early recruitment actually happened in 14u...
Yes paying attention to 12u can see some who are on their way.
There is "recruiting" going on in 12U..it is just on the down-low now. I've seen multiple social media posts from very good 08 players (2026/2027's) from big name orgs attending P5 camps..if you don't think the coaches are taking notice of these kids you are kidding yourself (that wasn't directed at you @RADcatcher ...). I doubt these 12/13 YO kids are flying from TX to FL to attend a camp on a whim..

Basketball is sort of how softball used to be. DD's bball coach is talking about the kids getting twitter accounts and getting them in front of coaches, etc. She is entering 6th grade... I am like how about they show they can hit two 15 foot jumpers in a row in a game before we start talking to Gino..:cautious: Our neighbor is entering the 9th grade and she has all kinds of offers already..seems silly to me but what do I know.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is "recruiting" going on in 12U..it is just on the down-low now. I've seen multiple social media posts from very good 08 players (2026/2027's) from big name orgs attending P5 camps..if you don't think the coaches are taking notice of these kids you are kidding yourself (that wasn't directed at you @RADcatcher ...). I doubt these 12/13 YO kids are flying from TX to FL to attend a camp on a whim..

Basketball is sort of how softball used to be. DD's bball coach is talking about the kids getting twitter accounts and getting them in front of coaches, etc. She is entering 6th grade... I am like how about they show they can hit two 15 foot jumpers in a row in a game before we start talking to Gino..:cautious: Our neighbor is entering the 9th grade and she has all kinds of offers already..seems silly to me but what do I know.
Absolutely amazing the broad spectrum of direction kids/people can go.

I liked the early recruitment.
That said,
Whats good for one
another may not like.
For the folks who take on earlier responsibility type things, like dedicated to something, what i notice most is they develop to where they create the opportunity
to have better choices further down the road.

People mention burn out from early competition drive gets tiring.
But not if given breaks and including other activities.
Burn out can be avoided.

Jun 8, 2016
Absolutely amazing the broad spectrum of direction kids/people can go.

I liked the early recruitment.
That said,
Whats good for one
another may not like.
For the folks who take on earlier responsibility type things, like dedicated to something, what i notice most is they develop to where they create the opportunity
to have better choices further down the road.

People mention burn out from early competition drive gets tiring.
But not if given breaks and including other activities.
Burn out can be avoided.
My biggest question is, unless you only care about softball, how in the world do you know where you want to go to college when you are in the 8th grade? Hell many kids haven't even taken algebra yet..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My biggest question is, unless you only care about softball, how in the world do you know where you want to go to college when you are in the 8th grade? Hell many kids haven't even taken algebra yet..
Hmmm imagine that question what college has many many uncertainties for majority %

Much befor thinking what career, we can learn what we like... So
doing an activity that can be included in college,
Especially If caring about something so much we care to get better at it
can be a driving force :)

Example
I wanted to play softball in college.
Never cared what degree i could get.
At 17 or 21 still didnt really decide what i would do after college.
But i knew i love softball.
And thats why i went to college.
Seriously playing softball in college is why i went to college.
I wouldnt call the jobs i've had something you get a degree to do.
But on my resume have made a career utilizing what i learned in college.

Not certain the % of people who even go to and complete college.
Not certain the % who get a degree and actually work in the same field.

That said

*Imagine anything we care about enough to care about getting better at it
is its own driving force that can help take us wherever we want with it!

Jun 8, 2016
Hmmm imagine that question what college has many many uncertainties for majority %

Much befor thinking what career we can learn what we like... So
doing an activity that can be included in college,
Especially If caring about something so much we care to get better at it
can be a driving force :)

Example
I wanted to play softball in college. Never cared what degree i could get.
At 17 or 21 still didnt really decide what i would do after college.
But i knew i love softball.
And thats why i went to college.
Seriously playing softball in college is why i went to college.
I wouldnt call the jobs i've had something you get a degree to do.
But on my resume have made a career utilizing what i learned in college.

Not certain the % of people who even go to and complete college.
Not certain the % who get a degree and actually work in the same field.

That said

*Imagine anything we care about enough to care about getting better at it
is its own driving force that can help take us wherever we want with it!
Knowing you want to play in college is great. .I wanted to be a MLB SS when I was 13 :)
Doesn't mean you need to have coaches breathing down your neck when you are 13. It isn't only about
major. It is about geography (where you want to go to school), big school vs. small school, etc. I think
starting to think about such things at an early age is good. Go visit schools, if you can afford it go to the camps, etc. I just don't think the coaches need to be involved till later.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Knowing you want to play in college is great. .I wanted to be a MLB SS when I was 13 :)
Doesn't mean you need to have coaches breathing down your neck when you are 13.
You do recognize not everyone rides life in the same boat?!

Glad to have choices!

Jun 8, 2016
You do recognize not everyone rides life in the same boat?!

Glad to have choices!
Read my edit and yes I realize this...that is why I used the word "I" in my statements. I (there is that word again.. :) ) just think the negatives of having coaches involved so early in the process outweighs the positives but hey different strokes I guess..BTW it appears that some (a majority of ??) college coaches (or at least the powers that be in the NCAA) agreed with me... Not sure if that is good or bad :p

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Read my edit and yes I realize this...that is why I used the word "I" in my statements. I (there is that word again.. :) ) just think the negatives of having coaches involved so early in the process outweighs the positives but hey different strokes I guess..BTW it appears that some (a majority of ??) college coaches (or at least the powers that be in the NCAA) agreed with me... Not sure if that is good or bad :p
You sure like to pat'tar yourself on the back :ROFLMAO: way to agree with ncaa big guy.

The point is there were people who liked the early opportunity...and lets not forget the folks who created early recruitment were many of those same coaches doing the early recruitment...and the early recruitment beast was born.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The point is there were people who liked the early opportunity...
Yes, sometimes people need to be saved from themselves..

Anyway, like I said before, while not as "in your face" as before, early recruiting still goes on so whatever benefits (or at least some of them) you think it brings are still being realized by some.. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
Well my team bowed out in the elite 8. Tough close loss to bb stith...couple calls didn't go our way and a bomb was the difference in the game. KS is intense as a coach, sooo many kids in that dugout compared to ours...lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Does your DD play for Bandits Chicago in 14u? I'm assuming that KS is the 14u coach. If so, DD is the catcher for that BB team.. capital YES to both statements.

We simply caught fire as a team and DD had a tournament that will be impossible to top, probably ever in her career!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32