Colorado-TCS and IDT

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
30min lightening delay in Longmont at the IDT turned into a full cancel as the lightning continued. They pulled us off as soon as the umpire saw it and acted appropriately. Lots of coaches at both of our games today 16u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 22, 2011
30min lightening delay in Longmont at the IDT turned into a full cancel as the lightning continued. They pulled us off as soon as the umpire saw it and acted appropriately. Lots of coaches at both of our games today 16u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in Longmont for a 6:30PM game last night. There to watch a very good pitcher from just north of Portland I met at a pitching clinic Javasource gave 4 years ago.

I'm a California coach/umpire, so what softball umpires are trained to do in rain is rusty, but they kept the games playing longer than my AYSO youth ref training would have allowed. I headed back to the car because I was at field R and I was parked by the school, so didn't see when they called it, but less than 5 minutes after I got to my car there was a torrential down pour. In California we might get weak thunderstorms maybe every other year, so it was fun seeing lightening. Not the house shaking storms we used to get in central NY, but still good to see a light show.

I recognized from the back a coach watching the game, and when he turned around, I saw it was Oklahoma main AC. There was a LSU coach there and a coach from Fordham. Did not look closely to see who else was watching. The Baylor HC walked by my car right after I got in it.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
Well, I won't bring my daughter back to the Sparkler.

We just had a wicked storm roll through with heavy rain and some lightning. The umpires didn't wait the requisite 30 minutes to start the game and had us go 5 minutes after the last clap of thunder. The field was soaked, despite being turf, and both pitchers got hurt slipping on their landing. My daughter twisted her knee and most likely will miss the rest of the event.

I know we're not supposed to confront the umpires, but this is a case where I'm asking what the hell he was thinking.

That sucks. If I was your coach, I probably would have pulled my team off the field for safety reasons. Hope the injury isn't serious.

I had fun talking with Brian from Boston from your org's younger team. My DD has always been more of a catcher who can pitch than a pitcher, so it fun connecting with him and seeing him being impressed when my DD was in her gear warming up pitchers. I miss those Boston/Long Island/Queens accents after being on the west coast for 25 years.

A little tough playing our first game of tournament when our teams body clocks were telling them it was 7AM against a team whose body clocks were saying it was 10AM. Your team scored 4 runs early and our bats didn't really wake up until the 1st inning of our next game.

Brian from Boston said to say 'Hi'.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I stayed with my buddy at his home in Longmont for the past 7 years. Labeled "The Coolest neighborhood in America." Check it out if you have time. Prospect Newtown southside of Longmont. Lots of breweries to take advantage of and downtown has neat places to eat. Check out Lucille's for some breakfast. Cajun style and the biscuits are incredible.
http://www.prospectnewtown.com/

1656595483573.png

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That sucks. If I was your coach, I probably would have pulled my team off the field for safety reasons. Hope the injury isn't serious.

I had fun talking with Brian from Boston from your org's younger team. My DD has always been more of a catcher who can pitch than a pitcher, so it fun connecting with him and seeing him being impressed when my DD was in her gear warming up pitchers. I miss those Boston/Long Island/Queens accents after being on the west coast for 25 years.

A little tough playing our first game of tournament when our teams body clocks were telling them it was 7AM against a team whose body clocks were saying it was 10AM. Your team scored 4 runs early and our bats didn't really wake up until the 1st inning of our next game.

Brian from Boston said to say 'Hi'.
Bryan is a great guy. His daughter got screwed by the LD of NJ organization head, so I wish him nothing but the best.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I'm happy to say my daughter's injury was less severe than originally thought. After some serious icing and tenzing, and a well-placed day off, she thinks she can go on Friday.

For the record, I told the on-site TD that I felt they were risking injury to the girls by playing in a torrential rain. That's all I said, and I walked away. There was no need to have a confrontation or say anything else. I understand they have a lot of games to get in, and the weather looks bad for today, but a simple look at the radar would have told him they could wait 10 minutes and start again. It's not like they had any coaches there...

Jan 22, 2011
Bryan is a great guy. His daughter got screwed by the LD of NJ organization head, so I wish him nothing but the best.

Has your DD's attended the Headfirst academic camps on Long Island? I was tempted to time a visit to family in CT to be around that time, but my DD wants to spend that time with family and consider doing the Irvine one in November.

Would you suggest to Bryan for me he and his daughter check it out?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Has your DD's attended the Headfirst academic camps on Long Island? I was tempted to time a visit to family in CT to be around that time, but my DD wants to spend that time with family and consider doing the Irvine one in November.

Would you suggest to Bryan for me he and his daughter check it out?

I will certainly forward him the information.

The place it's being held is 10 minutes from my house. In fact, I used to be the softball GM at that facility a few years back. We would attend, but we are away when they're being held. Also, my daughter wants to go down south for college.

Jan 22, 2011
I will certainly forward him the information.

The place it's being held is 10 minutes from my house. In fact, I used to be the softball GM at that facility a few years back. We would attend, but we are away when they're being held. Also, my daughter wants to go down south for college.

I was going by the schools list that shows up at Irvine and Florida camps. Looks like the only coach from the south that will be on Long Island is the Emory coach, and she was half watching part of our game against your other team while on the phone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying