HS Practice before TB practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
We still need to enforce that we have the final say on what our DD's do, until they are at least 18. Yes, by 15 or so, they have some input. But, school and family still need to come first. If you are a pitcher and catcher, one practice a day is certainly enough.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Pretty sure that in the states where I've lived - GA and NC - that there are no state rules against it. However, some individual teams/coaches have those rules.

Funny story - My DD and a friend were trying out for a team in January. Friend's father was hoping for a team that played/practiced very little during spring during school season, so he asked the coach about his plans. Father asked it this way, ''High school coach has a rule against her players going to travel practices/tournaments. What are you going to do during the spring?'' Travel coach mistook his intentions and answered, "Don't you worry about that. I tell the local high school coaches that if you make them choose, they'll choose travel. High school coaches back down when they hear that.'' Nice.

Jun 24, 2013
I know it is off topic but in IL. they do not seem to care what MS players do, rules come into play starting in HS.

Oct 10, 2011
We still need to enforce that we have the final say on what our DD's do, until they are at least 18. Yes, by 15 or so, they have some input. But, school and family still need to come first. If you are a pitcher and catcher, one practice a day is certainly enough.

DD has only been catching the last two tryouts and is pretty tired after...she hasn't done it for a year.

Dec 7, 2011
If you are a pitcher and catcher, one practice a day is certainly enough.

I will "pile onto" this part of Amy's message - For those pitcher/catcher parents out there that are just now thrust into the rigors of concurrent TB & HS overall obligations for their DD's:

OVERUSE INJURIES CAN HIT YOUR DD LIKE A TON OF LEAD. DO NOT GO INTO THIS DOUBLE-DUTY COMPLACENT ABOUT THE OVERALL LOAD YOUR DD'S BODY IS BEARING. Once the overuse "bug" hits it can be absolute HELL getting back out.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
^ My own nephew coached his catcher DD right into hanging it up at age 15. I tried to tell him that HS and travel and private practice was too much. She nursed a knee injury for 2 years.

Oct 10, 2011
I just talked to DW and she said, "you know he'll say, how come all the other girls can make it, and she can't...they have HS practice too."

Just thinking about how it takes a village to raise a child but it takes an online forum to raise a softball player:)
Well, at least mine!

May 17, 2012

We do double practices (TB and school ball) on the same day. The issue is what the MS and HS consider a "practice".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer