College Camps front toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
You would think the players that come help out at a camp would know how to throw front toss or practice prior to the camp. Three players throwing front toss today threw maybe 70 percent strikes. I mean in the dirt, hitting batters, not even close pitches.They threw very slow with pitches having an estimated 12 to 16 inches of arc/drop. One player threw the around the screen style with her arm at about 45 degrees angle. Disappointing for all involved. Rant over.
This, THIS right here in general drives me absolute batshit crazy!! Give me consistent flat throws, and work zones... shouldn't be that hard for peeps, but I swear 50% or more people that do front toss, are a mess.

Apr 26, 2019
Daughter was at a camp this last weekend. It was a good camp. She really enjoyed it. The front toss was good! Different coaches did it. The kids were told, we all do it differently, adjust like you adjust to different pitchers.

However, I have a question for those of you who have more knowledge. There was a girl there. She did nothing. Literally did nothing but wear her travel team uniform and stroll around. I didn't see her do IF or Of. She MAY have pitched bit I didn't see it. When it was time to pick balls up out of the OF all the other girls would run out and get the balls. She'd just sashay out to the outfield and stand or walk around and do nothing.

Yet, when it was time to speak to the coaches and get photos after the camp she took literally 10 minutes and acted like it was an audience with the Pope.

My question is, why go to a camp if you aren't going to do anything? Secondly, coaches notice if the kids aren't doing anything, right?

Dec 11, 2010
Secondly, coaches notice if the kids aren't doing anything, right?
Kid was probably injured and had paid for the camp. Usually no refunds given. Usually coaches just want to gauge if they think they can stand having the player around for four years.

If you can play, all the nonsense college coaches say online and at camps about character work ethic and behavior goes out the window. They literally don’t care as long as the player and parents can tone it down to “mildly disruptive” and the player can get C’s. Especially if we are talking about a pitcher.

Apr 26, 2019
Kid was probably injured and had paid for the camp. Usually no refunds given. Usually coaches just want to gauge if they think they can stand having the player around for four years.

If you can play, all the nonsense college coaches say online and at camps about character work ethic and behavior goes out the window. They literally don’t care as long as the player and parents can tone it down to “mildly disruptive” and the player can get C’s. Especially if we are talking about a pitcher.
She may have been injured. She drove herself and I thought maybe injury but the no effort picking balls when she was ambulatory made me think I didn't know what to think.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I believe these were 3 current players (maybe freshman) helping out at the camp and they were truly incapable of throwing decent front toss. Maybe they never had thrown front toss in their life. That's what it looked like. Maybe they should have practiced a little before hand. Maybe the HC should have made them practice before hand. It was embarrassingly bad. I said earlier 70 percent strikes. Maybe that was a little high. And the fact that the pitches were real slow with a lot of arc just made it worse. Ever see a dad or mom at the park throwing to their 6 year old kid, putting too much arc on the ball thinking it will be easier for him or her to hit but actually it makes it more difficult. Yeah, like that.
DD’s never threw front toss at practice or a camp. Players practice time was limited by rules and too valuable- it was always coaches or GA’s throwing.

DD #2 is grad assisting this year. She has had to actively work on hitting acceptable ground balls- her former coaches told her right away that wherever she went she would need to “learn” to hit fungo. Her fly balls were better but she’s used to pinpoint accuracy of her coaches. I think wild fly balls are a feature not a flaw, lol!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
However, I have a question for those of you who have more knowledge. There was a girl there. She did nothing. Literally did nothing but wear her travel team uniform and stroll around. I didn't see her do IF or Of. She MAY have pitched bit I didn't see it. When it was time to pick balls up out of the OF all the other girls would run out and get the balls. She'd just sashay out to the outfield and stand or walk around and do nothing.
Perhaps she was already committed? I have seen this before. I remember one particular Bomber kid that committed to UT "working" a Jen Schro catcher's Camp.

She committed as an 8th grader. Fast forward a few years, Mike White came aboard and decommitted her along with the other committed players. I always thought she was an average player. She ended up at the purple/gold school. Probably a favor to Scott Smith. LOL!!!

Oct 13, 2017
Perhaps she was already committed? I have seen this before. I remember one particular Bomber kid that committed to UT "working" a Jen Schro catcher's Camp.

She committed as an 8th grader. Fast forward a few years, Mike White came aboard and decommitted her along with the other committed players. I always thought she was an average player. She ended up at the purple/gold school. Probably a favor to Scott Smith. LOL!!!

What’s THE purple & gold team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coachtomri