How would you handle this situation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I get deposits, non-refundable ($250). It has to be enough that it is painful to walk away from. After that, they can go to as many tryouts they want. No deposit, the spot is open until I have all the checks.

Mar 21, 2013
As stated I don't think it's a problem going to other tryouts especially at the younger ages. It's a good way to talk to other kids and parents to find out what they like for dislike, and more importantly it's a great opportunity for your daughter to see where she stands. Funny when you try and tell your DD that she should work on xyz and she half blows you off because she is fine where she is at. Along come tryouts and she comes to me saying "hey dad I really need to work on xyz".
Me: That's a great idea let's do it!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Whether they attend the tryout or not is immaterial. Whether they stay or go to another team is immaterial. The family will make, what they feel, is the best decision for their daughter and there is little to no say you'll have about it. Either way, if your team's success is dependent upon 1 player, then your team has bigger issues than them leaving.

Apr 28, 2014
It's actually not a bad thing to get to other tryouts with your kid. They get to know other coaches, have opportunities for pick-up play and if things go south they can find a team. Plus they meet new friends in the softball world. Instead of facing them on the field, they get to stand in line next to them and get to know each other.

I have encouraged several people to go to several tryouts just for the experience.

This is great feedback!
As long as you are clear on your intention and don't try to lead a team on I think this is fine.
DD was asked to come to two tryouts to help push the level of play. The second tryout we went to DD was pushed hard by the level of play!
It works both ways.
There is never too much softball practice/tryout time. Never.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13