How to deal with Error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
This past Saturday ship 10u game dd was on the rubber, lots of errors on defense, simple grounders would turn into doubles or triples., pitcher and catcher trying their best to keep game alive. After loosing game DD comes out to me and ask me, “why is my team letting us down” (referring to pitcher and catcher ) I couldn’t answer that what would you say about it ? Other than you win as a team and loose as a team ?
Hopefully you said to your DD that should be the last time that phrase comes out of her mouth, ever. And like everyone said, it's 10U, that's what happens.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
This past Saturday ship 10u game dd was on the rubber, lots of errors on defense, simple grounders would turn into doubles or triples., pitcher and catcher trying their best to keep game alive. After loosing game DD comes out to me and ask me, “why is my team letting us down” (referring to pitcher and catcher ) I couldn’t answer that what would you say about it ? Other than you win as a team and loose as a team ?

I think you should pull her off this team of losers and find her a team full of players that won’t make any errors and ever let her down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2014
This only comes from the mouth of a 10 year old if she has heard it or something like it from an authority figure. Thoughts like that are never organic from a 10 y/o girl. Shame on the person that planted those thoughts in her mind.

Feb 25, 2020
This only comes from the mouth of a 10 year old if she has heard it or something like it from an authority figure. Thoughts like that are never organic from a 10 y/o girl. Shame on the person that planted those thoughts in her mind.

Im not sure I agree with this. I think these thoughts are totally natural. But ideally, they should be pre-empted by parental guidance.

Kudos to OP for reaching out in how to deal with it. Obviously they recognized a problem.

To solve it, help her realize her teammates are doing their best. Maybe ask her why she didnt just strike everyone out? Why doesnt she just do that?

Instead of getting flustered by others errors maybe she could focus on making up for them/helping her teammates out. The old "dont worry about it I got this" after an error goes along way. Good stuff at 10u...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If everyone is trying
no one is letting anyone down.

That said
interpreting the level of effort may become a topic for your dd.

Eventually effort and time individuals put in
Starts to show in performance.
There will be those families/players
Who attend every team function.
They say they are 100% in.

Then other families/players do all team functions AND
workouts as individuals,
They say they are 100% in.

This is one example where interpreting
effort vs performance may become a topic for folks seeking the right team fit.

What is your 100%

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
I think pitchers have a tougher time with this for sure.......we had one that at this stage of her career felt like she had to be perfect, had to strike everyone out to help her team.......and she struggled with errors by her teammates

what solved it for us was intentionally creating a culture where all were invested, and one that focused on not letting mistakes derail us -accepting them, moving on, having confidence not only that we'll make the next play, but that teammates will pick us up......and teammates were willing to not only pick up teammates after a mistake, but also dedicated to not playing the blame game

we often used the analogy of standing back to back, fighting off all comers.......we might have called them 'bar fighters' more than once, but that's not for everyone ;)

it took us a few years to really perfect that culture, and our last few years together they really were the toughest bunch around.....we beat teams that were skillwise much better than us, merely because we knew how to battle......the mistakes WILL diminish as they age and improve, but they are still there.....and in fact can become more glaring if they allow them to..........

it's funny now, 3 of my girls that are on other teams now have come back to me and said that no matter where they go or who they play with, no one grinds like we did......

as a parent you can still talk about some of these lessons......

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is another aspect to this topic.

How does the coach talk with the team about errors?

Is their accountability?
Or
Is it dont worry we're here to have fun?

There are 10u players who are raised with responsibility to what they are doing,
While others are just doing sports as something to do equivelant to going to the beach.

What does your dd hear the coach saying?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
At 9, 10, 11.....there are going to be a lot of wild pitches and a lot of passed balls. Even at 2nd year 10u. I’d recommend a sit down with your DD and emphasize effort over results right now. And not to see it as “failure” but as learning and growing together as a team.

Maybe even start the conversation of having your DD be a leader by supporting her teammates, helping them get better, and working hard on the field to set an example. It’s a big ask for a kid that young but can be a seed planted now that (with the right coaching/parenting) can show fruit down the road.

But, at the end of the day, please understand and remember these are children. At 10u you’re lucky if they can throw and chew bubble gum at the same time. Let alone track a ball in the dirt to stop it while a bat is being swung in front of their face.

Jun 24, 2019
There is another aspect to this topic.

How does the coach talk with the team about errors?

Is their accountability?
Or
Is it dont worry we're here to have fun?

There are 10u players who are raised with responsibility to what they are doing,
While others are just doing sports as something to do equivelant to going to the beach.

What does your dd hear the coach saying?

nope no accountability for errors, DD just said why does coach get after me for something I didn’t even do.... I understand they are only 10yr old/11 nobody is perfectI understand but I believe there’s a difference on trying and just giving up in plays... I knowsome of y’all are blasting me with sarcasm, it’s cool, I just wanted To see how do I approach that, begin a pitcher is not easy, as I have let my DD know she’s very responsable and never missa practice (even if she’s got private lessons 2-3 times a week plus team practice )

Apr 20, 2015
Bottom line if you feel the effort and commitment don't match your goals then finish your commitment and find a team that's more like minded. That's different than a team thats trying hard and your daughter having a bad attitude feeling like she's queen of this hill and her minions aren't performing. My daughter plays with some of the best pitchers in the country at her age level and sometimes even those kids walk a batter or throw a wild pitch and need the team to bail them out with a great play or an extra run. Sometimes they make an error and need the pitchers to bail them out leaving a runner stranded. Its a team game. As a parent you have to decide is the team the problem and move on or is your daughter's attitude the problem and needs a parental readjustment

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30