How to tell a high school coach that she can't overuse my pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2021
Yeah, the 200-230 pitches per weekend doesnt jump out that much as first, but the sideline gallery could all see that about 2 innings into the 2nd bracket game every Sunday there wasn't much left in the tank. Frustrating when that kid is pitching in a blowout then can't finish the next game against a stronger team, and other pitchers are sitting. She is starting PT after an overuse diagnosis. Nice kid. Hope it works out.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Training her to be an umpire? 😋 🤷‍♂️

A couple years ago, one of our basketball refs called the wrong number on a foul. When we got the correction he said something like "I can't see" to the table. We laughed, and I responded "Oh, sure, but if I said that you'd kick me out."

I consider officials making blind jokes to be a form of entrapment.

May 3, 2023
I coach HS in Massachusetts and also 18U Travel. We used three pitchers during the HS season but most of the games were pitched by our Senior pitcher. We gave her rest when we could.
Our travel team practices during the week in the summer with tourneys on weekends. We added three tourneys during the fall scheduling around HS Soccer and Field Hockey schedules. SCHOOL COMES FIRST by State HS Rules and our ethics.
Most High Schools ride one pitcher throughout the HS season.
Colleges scout during Summer Travel ball as the colleges are playing into May themselves. Our HS schedule is third Monday in March through Mid June.
Our travel team usually uses three pitchers in tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 3, 2023
I coach HS in Massachusetts and also 18U Travel. We used three pitchers during the HS season but most of the games were pitched by our Senior pitcher. We gave her rest when we could.
Our travel team practices during the week in the summer with tourneys on weekends. We added three tourneys during the fall scheduling around HS Soccer and Field Hockey schedules. SCHOOL COMES FIRST by State HS Rules and our ethics.
Most High Schools ride one pitcher throughout the HS season.
Colleges scout during Summer Travel ball as the colleges are playing into May themselves. Our HS schedule is third Monday in March through Mid June.
Our travel team usually uses three pitchers in tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2023
Colleges scout during Summer Travel ball as the colleges are playing into May themselves.

But even in states where HS Softball is played in the Fall they don't spend time going to those games unless something special (like matchup between two of their top recruits or state championship).

Versus the bigger weekend tournaments all Fall have tons of college coaches circling around. Just much easier to scout multiple kids playing against competition they would be more likely to see in college.

Aug 23, 2016
An update!

So the problem, for the time being, has solved itself. DD's team played their first game of the season. Coach scheduled it against a private school with a powerhouse program (the whole team plays high level travel, and there are multiple P5 D1commits). DD's team, unsurprisingly, lost. No one managed a hit (DD was one of three girls to put the ball in play), and DD gave up a lot of runs (some of them unearned as there were a lot of errors). In the postgame talk, all Coach could talk was about how DD lost the game for the team with her poor performance.

I know I'm biased, but given what she was facing, DD did well. No walks, four strikeouts, a lot of weak popups - it's just that the big hitters got big hits, and when there are a lot of extra runners on base due to errors, those big hits were especially costly.

So now Coach is punishing her for the loss by telling her she isn't going to start anymore. Coach pulled up the JV pitcher for a start, and the JV pitcher struggled mightily against a team that wasn't good. She told the senior who hasn't pitched since 10U that she would start the next game, which will be against a strong team.

At this point DD is mentally checked out. No matter what Coach says or does, DD just shrugs and goes about her business. She says that she thinks Coach is trying to make her lash out and she won't give her the satisfaction. She's just playing out this season and she won't return to the team next year.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
This Coach is an Ahole and you knew it last Fall. Your PC told you to be prepared to pull her and that view was reinforced by many on here. Coaches like this should not be allowed to continue their mental abuse with young athletes. Good luck - how you handle it from here can get interesting. Take care of your DD.

Jun 20, 2015
just how in the he77 is a coach blaming a pitcher, when his/her own team managed exactly ZERO hits and only 3 balls in play???? Scoring 0 runs will never get you a win (barring fluke forfeit).

Glad that coach has made incorrect mental decision and will not be using DD much. Saves wear and tear on her.

Smile, try and have fun, lead where you can, and be best possible teammate, is all the advise I can offer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles