How about this umpire?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Wish people would listen to the story before thinking its a look at me thing or whatever. We aren't talking about kids games for crying out loud. These are adult teams. Its funny when you know the whole story and how the players even get a kick out of it. He was ASKED to do this because the league was going downhill, it was boring and they wanted to draw some attention and fans. He is almost 50 years old and works harder than the players.

Each game he asks both teams if they are ok with it. If a team isn't, he doesn't do it.

I have a problem with it, no matter who asked who to do it. First of all, if the league is so bad that the umpire becomes the entertainment then perhaps its time for that league to go away. Secondly at the adult level every player should know that they shouldn't show up the ump, but the ump is asked to show them up. I don't like it no matter why it is happening.

And it is a look at me sort of thing, according to the story that's what he was asked to do bring attention from the boring games and to himself. Like I said, I don't care whose idea it was, or why he does it. I don't like it. Thats my opinion, yours may be different.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Ump says-Don't strike out
kAnKb7.gif

Jan 24, 2011
People get way to out of shape about this kind of stuff. What does it hurt? I remember an umpire we had when I was playing ball and he was VERY demonstrative and a showman. All of us players loved it and it brought some more entertainment to the game.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I have a problem with it, no matter who asked who to do it. First of all, if the league is so bad that the umpire becomes the entertainment then perhaps its time for that league to go away. Secondly at the adult level every player should know that they shouldn't show up the ump, but the ump is asked to show them up. I don't like it no matter why it is happening.

And it is a look at me sort of thing, according to the story that's what he was asked to do bring attention from the boring games and to himself. Like I said, I don't care whose idea it was, or why he does it. I don't like it. Thats my opinion, yours may be different.

I understand its over the top and some might not like it. But the ones saying they don't like, aren't playing there. I think these 4 things are the most important things that matter

1) the league likes it
2) the players like it
3) the ump has fun
4) spectators like it

What a terrible thing...a group of people are having fun playing a sport they enjoy and an ump having fun at something he enjoys (THAT THE PLAYERS LIKE HIM DOING). These aren't major league player making millions or major league umps making six figures or some young kids who might be scarred for life because of a strike out call...haha. Just normal 18+ adults trying to have a fun day and an ump probably making a whole 40 bucks who is trying to entertain some fans and family as he was asked to do.
Yes, the league should fold because they are having fun.

If the ump was doing this even though the players hated it or it insulted people and made them have a bad afternoon...then people should have a problem with it. Then it should stop or he should be gone.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
People get way to out of shape about this kind of stuff. What does it hurt? I remember an umpire we had when I was playing ball and he was VERY demonstrative and a showman. All of us players loved it and it brought some more entertainment to the game.

I remember an umpire like that in an adult church league where I grew up. I was always happy to see him on the field, whether for our game, or one that I was watching. He wasn't over the top. But he was just colorful. He would make a wisecrack that would get everybody laughing.

If the umpire in this video were bothering enough people, they'd put a stop to it. Seems pretty clear that he's making things more fun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose