hitting bottom of the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2009
at asa 12u nationals, we have several girls hitting the bottom of the ball. of course im looking for a quick fix lol. have used the "flat bat" drill in the past with the player facing the pitcher and swinging . started with bat on shoulder then with bat off shoulder. on or two are dropping their hands. any suggestions.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Check the rear elbow during thier swing. If it is getting ahead of the back hip, it's a common cause of the bat head dropping and causing pop ups for my kids.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do you have Total Control Sports balls with you? The girls can see how the ball is reacting and make some changes. Are you in Mobile? My niece is there.

May 17, 2009
thanks for the thoughts so far. we are in montgomery,al. we do not have any tcb ball looking to get them for next season.l

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was wondering if they are seeing more movement pitches, than they have in the past. I would think that they might hit the bottom of a rise ball.

Oct 25, 2009
yes we are. start elim. play tomorrow went 1-1 in pool.

OK, here is a bandaid fix. ONLY for the ones who are hitting the bottom of the ball. In the on deck circle, have them swing a bat that is too heavy but still can swing pretty good. Swing one that is 2 oz heavier. Make sure they swing half dozen or more while in the circle. Don't let them swing their game bat in the circle at all.

Their regular bat will feel just light enough to be a little higher on the ball—without them thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad