Hit batter question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 28, 2012
If a pitch hits the dirt in front of a batter, then hits the batter in the ankle or leg, is she awarded 1st base? It says in the USSSA rulebook that it doesn't matter if the ball hits the ground, but our league umpires never award 1st after the girls are HBP if it hits the ground first.

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, it is still a hit by pitch. Ball bouncing off the dirt does not change the fact that it is still a pitch.

Mar 2, 2013
A bouncing ball doesn't negate a hit-by-pitch. Often, the hardest pitch to avoid is a bouncing one since erratic pitches tend to also bounce erratically.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
When someone asks you about that, turn it around and ask them if they hit it for a double play or over the fence for a HR, would it count?

Of course, the answer is yes.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
i had a parent yell at me in asa rec about that a couple of weeks ago in a 12u game..i was nice and explained the rule to him in between innings but he still said i was wrong..lol

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
i had a parent yell at me in asa rec about that a couple of weeks ago in a 12u game..i was nice and explained the rule to him in between innings but he still said i was wrong..lol

Did you offer him an indicator and invite him to join you working the bases? :)

Jun 9, 2009

Pfft... I was pressed into umping a rec game my team was playing and had the opposing coach pack her team up and take them home because she was convinced I was calling that wrong. Told me what I was full of as she was leaving too. Stay classy coach.

Dec 20, 2012
If the batter made no attempt at all to avoid the wild pitch she would then not be awrded 1st base. See it alot with change ups that are in the dirt and inside. Batter just stands there and lets the ball hit them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish