High School Stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
i find it slightly ironic that hs stats are questionable but tb stats are golden. I have seen many TB scorebooks that are not a true representation.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Like most posted it depends on who keep the stats. Mine in IScore for travel ball were accurate. College coaches would talk to me and I would give them copies. Keep in mind they watch you play travel ball not high school. Grades are a different issue. I think why coaches look at your test scores more than grades. Example on my travel team we had a kid get all A's thru high school. DD got the same SAT score as she did. If you really want to turn off a college coach, give them your kid is hitting 675 in high school and then they watch them play in a travel ball game and they look at the swing and results that are not very good. They take you off the list about as fast as they do kids and parents that show a bad attitude. Yes they do watch parents at games. Little dd yells get me a water and you jump and run and get her one, you just sent a terrible message to that coach. Or that kid that acts like they are better than anyone else, kiss of death.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
i find it slightly ironic that hs stats are questionable but tb stats are golden. I have seen many TB scorebooks that are not a true representation.

In the grand scheme of things all stats, High School or TB while not totally irrelevant are a very small fairly insignificant part of the process. A coach or parent with any knowledge of the game can watch one at bat and get a pretty good idea of a players skill. Like I have told players for years it is not what you do, it is how you do it. Evaluation of players is not a process of selection, it is a process of elimination.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The best recruiting advice I can give to a parent is to say as little as possible to college coaches. Do not attempt to sell your daughter with stats and other information. Let her skills speak for her abilities, and let her sell herself. All coaches want to know about the parents is if they are supportive and whether or not they will be a problem. The bible says that Samson killed 10,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an rear. Every year many more scholarship opportunities are killed by the same weapon. :)

Oct 10, 2011
The best recruiting advice I can give to a parent is to say as little as possible to college coaches. Do not attempt to sell your daughter with stats and other information. Let her skills speak for her abilities, and let her sell herself. All coaches want to know about the parents is if they are supportive and whether or not they will be a problem. The bible says that Samson killed 10,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an rear. Every year many more scholarship opportunities are killed by the same weapon. :)

Now that is funny!

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
It is funny that people like to inflate stats, not realizing that it will come back to bite them and that then they lose credibility. :rolleyes:

That's why I am meticulous on our stats and that I take other teams stats with a grain of salt whether they are "HS Stats" or travel.

But some stats you just can't fudge---or can you?
Hitting/Pitching: BB, Ks, runs scored and HRs (not counting in the park) :cool:

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Stats aren't easy to keep reliably. I was watching the Nats play the other night and somebody reached base on a legitimate hit. Got to second on a passed ball. Ended up not scoring but the announcer was dropping knowledge that if the runner had scored on a hit, it would be an earned run but had he got to second via a wild pitch and scored, it would have been an unearned run. I guess a wild pitch is an error on the pitcher? I may not be 100% accurate on the scenario but it was something like that. I was too angry at all the runners they were leaving on base. Reminded me of my team...

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Stats aren't easy to keep reliably. I was watching the Nats play the other night and somebody reached base on a legitimate hit. Got to second on a passed ball. Ended up not scoring but the announcer was dropping knowledge that if the runner had scored on a hit, it would be an earned run but had he got to second via a wild pitch and scored, it would have been an unearned run. I guess a wild pitch is an error on the pitcher? I may not be 100% accurate on the scenario but it was something like that. I was too angry at all the runners they were leaving on base. Reminded me of my team...

You've got it reversed. PBs and WPs are not Es; however, a run scored due to a PB (which is beyond the pitcher's control) is unearned, whereas a run scored due to a WP (which is under the direct control of the pitcher) is earned.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
You've got it reversed. PBs and WPs are not Es; however, a run scored due to a PB (which is beyond the pitcher's control) is unearned, whereas a run scored due to a WP (which is under the direct control of the pitcher) is earned.

^^^^^^ The above is correct, I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44