High School Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Who wants to be a woman who can't throw overhand, hit a ball, or catch a ball?

Um, my wife!! She was a track star in her day, but wasn't blessed with ANY softball/baseball skills. Even DD rolls her eyes when I say "mom is going to help us today". Wife still actively runs, won 2 classics in 13'. But she sucks at ball, I still love her though. :)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
But she sucks at ball, I still love her though.

Reminds me a of an old joke.

A man dies and goes to Heaven. He gets to meet GOD and asks GOD if he can ask him a few questions.

"Sure," GOD says, "Go right ahead".

"OK," the man says. "Why did you make women so soft?"

GOD says, "So you would like to hold them."

"OK," the guy says. "But how come you made them so beautiful?"

"So you would LOVE them," GOD replies.

The man ponders a moment and then asks, "But why did you make them such airheads?"

GOD says, "So they would love you!"

Jul 26, 2010
Here in NorCal we can move them back and forth from JV to Varsity until league begins (March 25). Each league has their own rules regarding this, it is not a CIF or even sectional rule. For our league (and this is most common) once League play begins, once they play an inning on Varsity they cannot move back to JV.

Our issue here is that we bleed more talent then we get do to kids graduating. Demographics have changed drastically and when you tie this in with 6 high schools in a relatively small area (500 kids play in the rec ball league to feed 6 high schools), you end up with a situation where you have to build and groom players. Sure, we get 1-3 good travel players every year, but some years we graduate 3 and get 1, so it doesn't balance out. This means that we have to spend a good deal of energy and time on the freshman who may never played before. We try to keep kids who are athletic (usually from playing other sports) and put in the time and effort so that by the time they are sophomores they will play on JV and be good position options on V by the time they are seniors.

If we didn't do this, we would be a mess.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
OILF acknowledged that in his post on the Can 11th grade play JV thread -

Thanks, I must have missed that conversation.

I can see it may vary from state to state, but if the school is registered with the state governing athletic association, I don't see how they could "legally" adapt their own personal amendments. Of course until challenged, I guess they could do whatever they want.

FYI, OILF is a lady. :)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
OILF acknowledged that in his post on the Can 11th grade play JV thread -

The discussion on JV and V players going back and forth is not the same as to whether a Junior can play JV. Two totally different things.

BTW, OILF is a lady.

Mar 26, 2013
I can see it may vary from state to state, but if the school is registered with the state governing athletic association, I don't see how they could "legally" adapt their own personal amendments. Of course until challenged, I guess they could do whatever they want.

FYI, OILF is a lady. :)
Generally speaking, there is not an issue with local rules being more restrictive than the governing body. It's only an issue if the GB prohibits being more restrictive (e.g. discrimination). Otherwise, compliance with the more restrictive rule also complies with the GB's rule.

My apologies to OILF. :eek:

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Generally speaking, there is not an issue with local rules being more restrictive than the governing body. It's only an issue if the GB prohibits being more restrictive (e.g. discrimination). Otherwise, compliance with the more restrictive rule also complies with the GB's rule.

My apologies to OILF. :eek:

Very interesting. I have a client who is a director at TSSAA, next time I see him I'll ask for an "official" explanation.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
HS practice begins tomorrow for DD (Official start of HS Spring Sports season in NJ is the 1st Friday of March -it can be March 1 (last year) or March 7 (this year). Must have 6 practices prior to playing the 1st scrimmage. Juniors can play JV. 1st games are April 1.

Practice is 3:45-6 PM daily and Saturday mornings, so 6 days a week. Season is done by Memorial Day weekend for most teams, state tourney finals are the 1st weekend in June, which is when travel ball cranks up.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Here, schools "gang up the games and opponents." So JV plays the same time as V, same opponent, just opposite schools, for baseball and softball. We have to play at the same time or else it gets really late. Title IX is in force, so baseball and softball are required to do a "similar" schedule. We have 3 games/week; who wants to be at the field with a game starting at 6pm, no lights available, and it would be impossible to get 2 baseball games in. We have two other sports doing the same thing but the times are staggered so the buses can run back and forth and also go to other schools (4 schools within 20 minutes driving). So everyone knows it is "so and so" day.

For the sports that play less often and have a field with lights, they may do JV first and V second. But the teams do not practice together because like I said, it is already a herd.

We run JV at 6 and V at 7:30, same field. Every field/school I can think of has lights in our schedule. We play a little over 50 games per season, JV a little less since they don't do playoffs.

When you say herd, just how many players are we talking? How many games in your schedule?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer