High School Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The spring sport not to be named can have herds up to 40 players, as does that fall sport not to be named, and each of those has herds at the JV and V level. Softball has 15 on V and 17 on JV, but JV loses about 3 players a season due to injury or illness. We play half the games you do. Not one HS I know of in about 70 miles or so has lights on softball or baseball fields, except one field that is shared with the park system, so it has lights for both.

Like always I'm curious to see how things are done abroad.

Our way wouldn't work at your school/situation, because you play JV/V as separate teams. Meaning separate places.

One thing I always tried to remind my girls is how lucky they are to play in such nice facilities. Even though I grew up and played within 20 miles of where we live now, things were different back then. Only about half the HS baseball fields had lights. None of the softball fields had them. Most schools didn't even have SB fields, they played at city owned ones.

When I was a young buck there was only 4-5 true TB baseball teams in our city of a million. Tryouts had 100's of players in my teens. Now there is one on every corner.

Apr 1, 2010
DD's HS has two softball fields, side by side, but no lights. They schedule the V and JV games at the same time, usually around 4 p.m., which is enough time for the opposing teams to drive here after school and leaves enough daylight to finish the games. It's pretty bare-bones: no bathrooms, no concessions, a rutted gravel path to the fields, one metal bleacher for JV, two metal bleachers for V, but it suffices.

Jul 26, 2010
Almost all schools here have both JV and V softball fields. Interestingly, most only have 1 baseball field. The baseball does what OILF does, and swap schools on the same day for JV and V. For softball, both teams play at the same time since there are two fields. Only one school has lights, and they do stagger the JV and V games so that the V game is played under the lights.

-W

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer