Help with this issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
In this clip to much movement in the frontal plane (catcher/pitcher). She needs to fall forward into her legs against the core stretching back. This will provide leverage for her core to fire.. Her current power source is move forward to then snf (rear legged).

HfWQQlW.gif
Bingo! Hence the the issue of the "Coming out of posture and the rear foot dragging forward"

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
We went to the batting cage last night and it was bad! We worked on posture but as soon as she swings full she comes out and up. Which I think we all agree is causing a lot of the issue. I think the answer is (get this): Squish the bug!
At this point I don't think she's actually capable of squishing the bug, turning her foot and not her hips but it might get her to stop dragging her back foot forward and up after contact. Who's in?
no

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Posture is better but TDS is right. Another way to look at it is she is starting her swing (rotating counter clockwise and hands and bat moving forward) well before her front foot touches down. Foot down should have some toes then heel element to it, IMO. She kinda stomps down. She needs a more balanced and controlled move out. At toe touch, hands should still be back and head should stop moving forward. Heel down, elbow naturally slots. She will get there.
Also start with more tilt. Experiment with extreme tilt. She is too upright.

Nov 26, 2020
Posture is better but TDS is right. Another way to look at it is she is starting her swing (rotating counter clockwise and hands and bat moving forward) well before her front foot touches down. Foot down should have some toes then heel element to it, IMO. She kinda stomps down. She needs a more balanced and controlled move out. At toe touch, hands should still be back and head should stop moving forward. Heel down, elbow naturally slots. She will get there.
Also start with more tilt. Experiment with extreme tilt. She is too upright.
We are working hard on posture and tilt now which is tricky. It has flopping her upper half around trying to find the right spot but we've always given up on it. We're going to keep working on it consistently.

Oct 2, 2017
This is a bit older video - she is doing a better job keeping her hands back at foot down but the rest is spot on.
Ok, so now that you agree, of what is causing the issues you see, Coming out of posture and dragging the rear foot. I hope you now understand why you are being told "No" that squishing the bug will not solve the issue you are trying to fix.

Here is a suggestion that I think could start helping her feel the proper usage of the body. Is to take the bat out of her hands and do dry movements. Add in front toss (Still no bat) if you like, just to get her to gain the proper feeling.

For example like this. Granted DD is doing no stride, but can still be applied.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
In this clip to much movement in the frontal plane (catcher/pitcher). She needs to fall forward into her legs against the core stretching back. This will provide leverage for her core to fire.. Her current power source is move forward to then snf (rear legged).

HfWQQlW.gif

TDS...you see this as rear legged? Will you explain why. Just a curious/honest question as definitions here I'm always trying to concensusly define. My current understanding would be the opposite of rear leg.. Can the core stretch back if the rear leg is not maintained? Can you fall forward into the legs and have any leverage if your tiniest bit off time?

Currently rear legged snf is something that makes sense to me, but with the ground held with the rear foot as the middle moves against it.

As I type this, falling forward instead of the thought of stretching forward with core pull back may make sense. The idea of a fall forward just seems so loose and uncontrolled to me.

Apr 11, 2015
We went to the batting cage last night and it was bad! We worked on posture but as soon as she swings full she comes out and up. Which I think we all agree is causing a lot of the issue. I think the answer is (get this): Squish the bug!
At this point I don't think she's actually capable of squishing the bug, turning her foot and not her hips but it might get her to stop dragging her back foot forward and up after contact. Who's in?
Adjust your training to the student, don't look for general fix-its and expect the student to adjust to them.

If she "comes out and up" of her posture swing she swings, give her a task or goal that will prevent her brain/body from doing so.

Why do you believe that squishing the bug will prevent her from coming up and out of posture? I don't know about you, but I can squish any bug with either foot while standing as tall as I like.

If anything, I'd actually stop her from turning her back foot (because most kids instinctively do it with their rear leg, and need to stand up in order to do so) and physically turn her hips with your hands, as she's trying not to turn her rear foot in order to show her how the hip(s) move the rear leg, that moves the rear foot that eventually squishes the bug....not the other way around.

Unfortunately, most instructors try to teach results rather than the causation of those results. In hitting a baseball/softball, the proper "Squish the bug" technique is the "result" of the hips/middle turning the rear leg ("cause") and the leg then turning the foot to squish said bug. Not simply the rear leg turning the foot w/o the involvement of the hips as most hitters do when trying to please their "hitting instructors".

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
She has horrific bat drag. Stop everything you are doing and fix this.

2021-1021-drag-0.00.00.00.png

Green (bad), yellow (good)

1. The rear forearm must be flat at toe touch
Tell her to pull the back elbow back like a bow as she strides forward. Do dry drills in a mirror. Get away from the cages,

Make sure her hands are closer to her armpit, and make sure her hands are always in front of the back elbow. Always.

2. Point the rear foot at the plate

All the posture in the world wont fix this poor leverage from the start.

Nov 26, 2020
She has horrific bat drag. Stop everything you are doing and fix this.

View attachment 24170

Green (bad), yellow (good)

1. The rear forearm must be flat at toe touch
Tell her to pull the back elbow back like a bow as she strides forward. Do dry drills in a mirror. Get away from the cages,

Make sure her hands are closer to her armpit, and make sure her hands are always in front of the back elbow. Always.

2. Point the rear foot at the plate

All the posture in the world wont fix this poor leverage from the start.
Maybe she does but that video is from May. This is a month ago

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00