Help with rolling over and rotating!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tillery2

Dad of a 2015 10u SS 2nd 3rd and pitcher.
Nov 6, 2023
Rome GA
My 9 year old is all arms 90% of the time. No lower half. She is rolling over bad and I'm not sure if that's a byproduct of my rotating or maybe the grip or the path. Maybe not fully getting extended? Any and all advice will be much appreciated. Training tools and all. I'm open to everything.

With hat being said she still carries the highest batting average on both her rec and travel team. I just see the flaws in the swing and know there's so much more there.

Attachments

• 20240602_140422.jpg
    20240602_140422.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 59
Aug 20, 2017
As hard as it is to do, I wouldn’t do too much mechanics work with her. Kids her age lack body awareness. It’s the main reason why I will not do hitting lessons with anyone younger than 12 yo. Looks like coach pitch from the pics you shared. Just tell her to smoke it lol!

Good luck on y’all’s hitting journey! It flys by! It can be a fun rabbit hole to go down. It can also take a toll on your relationship with your DD. Just remember to always encourage her. Be there to pick her up when she’s struggling. Trust me on that ?

Jun 18, 2023
I mean I'm no expert (my 9 year old is convinced she'll never be able to hit and struggles to actually SWING when it's not coach pitch. It's like 95% confidence at this point, but..) but her weight is back, she's getting the knob/hands/whatever to the ball rather than just swinging the same swing no matter where the ball is, her hips turn, or back leg is bent? I dunno, seems like she's fine just let her get her reps.

Jun 29, 2023
My 9 year old is all arms 90% of the time. No lower half. She is rolling over bad and I'm not sure if that's a byproduct of my rotating or maybe the grip or the path. Maybe not fully getting extended? Any and all advice will be much appreciated. Training tools and all. I'm open to everything.

With hat being said she still carries the highest batting average on both her rec and travel team. I just see the flaws in the swing and know there's so much more there.
My daughter is / was tall too. Good athlete but she casted like crazy. She went to a split grip to try to fight rolling over. Oddly enough she turned 14 today. She still has her issues but can tell you what she did wrong. That's pretty knew.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

She has to use the arms the ball is over her head. The higher the ball, like slow pitch the more you can tomahawk, finish low and roll the wrists.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Frames 1,2 stance:
The rear hip and shoulder must be ahead (left) of the line (the rear foot) in the stance. Then gravity will win and she will not go backwards during her stride.

Frame 3-toe touch
1. The back elbow is down. She has begun her swing too soon - with one foot in the air. Pull the back elbow back like a bow during the stride - the rear forearm must be flat at toe touch

This causes the bat drag exposed in frame 4

2. you must land with a very bent front knee. During the stride, pick the front knee straight up and move forward to toe touch. (This and the frame 1 fix should fix this issue)

Frame 4 the bat drag is exposed (which is causing many problems
1. Notice the bat head is behind the hands (it should be ahead at this point.
2. Notice the biceps have pushed away from the torso. Optimally, they should not leave the torso before contact.

3. Notice instead of straightening the front knee during the swing, she bent it. This will be corrected if you land on a bent knee per frame 3 fix.

20240602_140422-0.00.jpg

Also, never say or teach the word 'extended'. Get that out of your brain. It only leads to very bad things like frame 5 where kids push their biceps away from the torso and then roll over.. There is not a kid in America that needs more 'extension' - they all need less.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
This pitch is so high and she is so early that these pics are not helpful. With contact so far out front, rolling over is almost guaranteed for any hitter. On this high pitch rolling over actually helps with contact because it causes the barrel to rise a bit. Without the roll over she would have most likely popped up or missed under.

Feb 19, 2024
Kansas
Frames 1,2 stance:
The rear hip and shoulder must be ahead (left) of the line (the rear foot) in the stance. Then gravity will win and she will not go backwards during her stride.

Frame 3-toe touch
1. The back elbow is down. She has begun her swing too soon - with one foot in the air. Pull the back elbow back like a bow during the stride - the rear forearm must be flat at toe touch

This causes the bat drag exposed in frame 4

2. you must land with a very bent front knee. During the stride, pick the front knee straight up and move forward to toe touch. (This and the frame 1 fix should fix this issue)

Frame 4 the bat drag is exposed (which is causing many problems
1. Notice the bat head is behind the hands (it should be ahead at this point.
2. Notice the biceps have pushed away from the torso. Optimally, they should not leave the torso before contact.

3. Notice instead of straightening the front knee during the swing, she bent it. This will be corrected if you land on a bent knee per frame 3 fix.

View attachment 29699

Also, never say or teach the word 'extended'. Get that out of your brain. It only leads to very bad things like frame 5 where kids push their biceps away from the torso and then roll over.. There is not a kid in America that needs more 'extension' - they all need less.
This part is interesting for me and not something I would have guessed, at least not with my daughter's issues. She is 8u and machine pitch. She is one of the best on the team in not striking out but almost all of her hits are weak ground balls to 3B. Now she is a LH batter and has decent speed so she almost never gets out at this age level hitting grounders to 3B/SS but that won't last long.

It appears almost immediately after contact her wrists break and the bat rolls over. She never appears to get to extension. Part of the problem might be she's just hitting the top half of the ball more often instead of squaring it up.

tillery2

Dad of a 2015 10u SS 2nd 3rd and pitcher.
Nov 6, 2023
Rome GA
As hard as it is to do, I wouldn’t do too much mechanics work with her. Kids her age lack body awareness. It’s the main reason why I will not do hitting lessons with anyone younger than 12 yo. Looks like coach pitch from the pics you shared. Just tell her to smoke it lol!

Good luck on y’all’s hitting journey! It flys by! It can be a fun rabbit hole to go down. It can also take a toll on your relationship with your DD. Just remember to always encourage her. Be there to pick her up when she’s struggling. Trust me on that ?
Sorry I should have mentioned that. It's actually a pitching machine. She decided to play all stars and our district does machine to help speed the game up. But it's the same swing no matter what. Same roll over and the bat flips

Jul 1, 2022
She needs to be leading with her hips. Rolling over happens when the arms lead the hips and they are already moving past the plate when your hips have not yet.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym