Help with my 14U daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She drops the hands/arms/bat even on a high tee swing. The arms are being used to swing. Lots of slop. To eliminate the slop she is going to have to learn how to use the hands to turn the barrel.

Oct 2, 2017
Does she throw righty as well? Just a thought, if she does she will be top hand dominate. Therefor the bottom hand is dead in the swing. Might need to work lead arm , bottom hand. Just IMO. If you slow the video down to half speed or .25 speed at about the 4-5 second mark watch the top hand. She rotates it around the handle, while the bottom hand does nothing. The elbow slots under creating elbow drag. Its hard to tell in the gif, but you can see the blue strip of the batting gloves on the top hand rotate around. while the bottom hand does nothing.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021
To answer questions, she's been doing dry swings, no tee, nothing. First just loading without moving her hands, and second bringing her elbow down into the hip slot. Here is today hitting hit stick. Still seeing casting and swinging with her arms but I feel like she's casting less though she's all arms I feel. No easy fixes right. Though since she's started these drills she hasn't popped out again so who knows.

Oct 2, 2017
To answer questions, she's been doing dry swings, no tee, nothing. First just loading without moving her hands, and second bringing her elbow down into the hip slot. Here is today hitting hit stick. Still seeing casting and swinging with her arms but I feel like she's casting less though she's all arms I feel. No easy fixes right. Though since she's started these drills she hasn't popped out again so who knows.

She is still doing what i mentioned in my post above if you didnt read it. Post #32

Feb 18, 2021
Does she throw righty as well? Just a thought, if she does she will be top hand dominate. Therefor the bottom hand is dead in the swing. Might need to work lead arm , bottom hand. Just IMO. If you slow the video down to half speed or .25 speed at about the 4-5 second mark watch the top hand. She rotates it around the handle, while the bottom hand does nothing. The elbow slots under creating elbow drag. Its hard to tell in the gif, but you can see the blue strip of the batting gloves on the top hand rotate around. while the bottom hand does nothing.

Yes, she throws right. I do see what you see! Goodveye. So are saying shes rotating it during her elbow drop which is causing her drag? So should that back had be stationary, not rotating correct?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

Like showing kids the feeling for the hands Romero uses from to .04 to .07 of this video

Oct 2, 2017
Yes, she throws right. I do see what you see! Goodveye. So are saying shes rotating it during her elbow drop which is causing her drag? So should that back had be stationary, not rotating correct?
Im just saying in my opinion only that both hands should be acting on the handle of the bat. Others may ot may not agree, but i hold the position that the bottom sets the plane and direction of bat and the top hand is the like the hammer. Right now her bottom hand isn't setting the plane and and direction and the top hand isn't getting the bat head through. This in my opinion could be because she throws right handed so the top hand is dominate. Its taking over. Basically in the same fashion as she would to throw a ball. The top hand is pulling back and the bottom is just going along for the ride so to speak. Hopefully that isn't to confusing. If you lool back at my post #32 and see the youtube video. Look how the bottom hand ia pulling through. That in my opinion is a large part thats missing thats causing elbow drag.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There are no easy changes for the most part. Just finished working on timing with 3 kids. Without timing nothing else works correctly. They weren’t yesyes yes/no, not ready at release and not dancing with the pitcher. Only my second practice working on hitting.

One girl can’t understand coil correctly. It’s simple, but a struggle for her. Next time I have a new cue, screwing the foot into the ground. I also plan on doing 45 degree SNF. Today she actually tried to turn the back leg forward and said like this. Made me scratch my head.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Once again, the cast is from imbalances at toe-touch. If you keep the head still when she loads, she will be able to stride without reaching. Here’s a step back drill you can do. Notice how his head barely moves back? It remains in front of the belly button until launch? Notice how his shoulders load earlier w the stride and hips? Not at toe touch. Her hands seem fine. They’re are just compensating. Still work on set up. It’s important.

1618625564872.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13