Help with my 14U daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Once again, the cast is from imbalances at toe-touch. If you keep the head still when she loads, she will be able to stride without reaching. Here’s a step back drill you can do. Notice how his head barely moves back? It remains in front of the belly button until launch? Notice how his shoulders load earlier w the stride and hips? Not at toe touch. Her hands seem fine. They’re are just compensating. Still work on set up. It’s important.

View attachment 21717
Balance definitely plays a role.

Feb 18, 2021
Once again, the cast is from imbalances at toe-touch. If you keep the head still when she loads, she will be able to stride without reaching. Here’s a step back drill you can do. Notice how his head barely moves back? It remains in front of the belly button until launch? Notice how his shoulders load earlier w the stride and hips? Not at toe touch. Her hands seem fine. They’re are just compensating. Still work on set up. It’s important.

View attachment 21717

So is her stride just too big or is loading too much? Or is she moving her hips too late? Or am I off on what you mean

Aug 20, 2017

View attachment 21717
I’ve got a player that hits like this in games. This can be done in front toss. One of my best hitters loads using a small step back. It’s got to be small and bounce off of it. Head stays in front of BB

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I’ve got a player that hits like this in games. This can be done in front toss. One of my best hitters loads using a small step back. It’s got to be small and bounce off of it. Head stays in front of BB

if it’s done before release it really isn’t a problem.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So is her stride just too big or is loading too much? Or is she moving her hips too late? Or am I off on what you mean

the body needs to stay balanced. The middle of the body is out of position during stride. The head (nose) needs to stay in front of the belly button during load and stride. Lock it in place during her load. Then she can leverage the shoulders and the front side on time and stop compensating w the hands.

1618631947228.gif

Oct 26, 2019
Im just saying in my opinion only that both hands should be acting on the handle of the bat. Others may ot may not agree, but i hold the position that the bottom sets the plane and direction of bat and the top hand is the like the hammer. Right now her bottom hand isn't setting the plane and and direction and the top hand isn't getting the bat head through. This in my opinion could be because she throws right handed so the top hand is dominate. Its taking over. Basically in the same fashion as she would to throw a ball. The top hand is pulling back and the bottom is just going along for the ride so to speak. Hopefully that isn't to confusing. If you lool back at my post #32 and see the youtube video. Look how the bottom hand ia pulling through. That in my opinion is a large part thats missing thats causing elbow drag.
You are one of the few people (other than me) who I’ve heard share this theory. I have had quite a few players throw right and swing left. They are right hand dominant and in a lot of their swings, the bottom hand seems to be “pulling the bat through the zone” instead of the top hand “hammering” through the zone.

Oct 2, 2017
You are one of the few people (other than me) who I’ve heard share this theory. I have had quite a few players throw right and swing left. They are right hand dominant and in a lot of their swings, the bottom hand seems to be “pulling the bat through the zone” instead of the top hand “hammering” through the zone.
Yeah, i haven't heard to many state that point view. Especially concerning the issue of elbow drag. Most say its a balance issue etc. which i do agree is part of the issue also.

Feb 18, 2021
the body needs to stay balanced. The middle of the body is out of position during stride. The head (nose) needs to stay in front of the belly button during load and stride. Lock it in place during her load. Then she can leverage the shoulders and the front side on time and stop compensating w the hands.

View attachment 21718

So are you saying that she's moving her head back as she's loading and striding?

I did look at what people were talking about with her top hand and how she's rotating it along with the bat. We looked at ways to get the knob to the ball and started with something like this. Thoughts?

Based on this video. We're also using that contraption on her arms. Still working on the stride and plant.

Feb 18, 2021
Im just saying in my opinion only that both hands should be acting on the handle of the bat. Others may ot may not agree, but i hold the position that the bottom sets the plane and direction of bat and the top hand is the like the hammer. Right now her bottom hand isn't setting the plane and and direction and the top hand isn't getting the bat head through. This in my opinion could be because she throws right handed so the top hand is dominate. Its taking over. Basically in the same fashion as she would to throw a ball. The top hand is pulling back and the bottom is just going along for the ride so to speak. Hopefully that isn't to confusing. If you lool back at my post #32 and see the youtube video. Look how the bottom hand ia pulling through. That in my opinion is a large part thats missing thats causing elbow drag.

We both see the rotation of that wrist. When it rotates, she getting massive bat drag. Look at the newest post. Think that may help, especially those drills in that YT video?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812