Help with my 14U daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So are you saying that she's moving her head back as she's loading and striding?

I did look at what people were talking about with her top hand and how she's rotating it along with the bat. We looked at ways to get the knob to the ball and started with something like this. Thoughts?

Based on this video. We're also using that contraption on her arms. Still working on the stride and plant.

once a hitter loses balance. They compensate to get to the ball. That’s all she’s doing. Casting is a compensation. Just like dropping the hands.. Mimic her position.. how did you get to the ball? It’s all she has to fire bc she’s on her back side and is timing something..

On the other side of the spectrum, If your on the front side too much.. you push your hands and rotate your hips. Why? Bc you’ve lost your back leg anchor (leverage), so you lose your middle. Therefore you use what you have to create force.

She already knows how to use her hands and her arms. Just put her in a position to do so. She has a good sequence and even a stretch reflex bc her posture was better in the game swing and she didn’t open up early. She’s just stuck on her back side. So she stalls and casts.

the tell is swinging the front foot down. There’s nothing under her to create force when she starts swinging so she leverages whatever she can(her hands). Try swinging w your front foot in the air. What body part do you use excessively to create force? Some used to say that’s a good thing. Ha! Not.

Oct 2, 2017
once a hitter loses balance. They compensate to get to the ball. That’s all she’s doing. Casting is a compensation. Just like dropping the hands.. Mimic her position.. how did you get to the ball? It’s all she has to fire bc she’s on her back side and is timing something..

On the other side of the spectrum, If your on the front side too much.. you push your hands and rotate your hips. Why? Bc you’ve lost your back leg anchor (leverage), so you lose your middle. Therefore you use what you have to create force.

She already knows how to use her hands and her arms. Just put her in a position to do so. She has a good sequence and even a stretch reflex bc her posture was better in the game swing and she didn’t open up early. She’s just stuck on her back side. So she stalls and casts.

the tell is swinging the front foot down. There’s nothing under her to create force when she starts swinging so she leverages whatever she can(her hands). Try swinging w your front foot in the air. What body part do you use excessively to create force? Some used to say that’s a good thing. Ha! Not.

Just curious, In the gif below do you think she is swing with the foot in the air?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Just curious, In the gif below do you think she is swing with the foot in the air?

yes. Force is being applied before the foot gets down. She uses her elbow and arm bar to leverage her force. At the point when the hands drop and the lead arm extends before toe touch. One frame before foot strike.

Oct 2, 2017
yes. Force is being applied before the foot gets down. She uses her elbow and arm bar to leverage her force. At the point when the hands drop and the lead arm extends before toe touch. One frame before foot strike.
I think we have a different definition of force being applied. Just because the elbow slots underneath the lead arm barring out, doesn't mean that force is being applied to handle. IMO she does that to set her self up so that the upper body will drag everything through. That to me is not actual force being applied by the hands or anything else. Essentially flipping the barrel through because her hands are stuck "Pinned" for lack of a better word by the elbow underneath and the arm bar. The "Flipping" or should I say thrown off. View This post, I think its telling of what I'm saying: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/help-with-my-14u-daughter.41029/post-612279. In the last post of the rockies hitter , you see actually force being applied to the barrel. JMO

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021

So at foot plant, what should her upper body be doing? In the process of turning shoulders? I wonder if she's swinging before the plant foot drops because she's timing the pitcher, maybe worried she'll be too slow?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think we have a different definition of force being applied. Just because the elbow slots underneath the lead arm barring out, doesn't mean that force is being applied to handle. IMO she does that to set her self up so that the upper body will drag everything through. That to me is not actual force being applied by the hands or anything else. Essentially flipping the barrel through because her hands are stuck "Pinned" for lack of a better word by the elbow underneath and the arm bar. The "Flipping" or should I say thrown off. View This post, I think its telling of what I'm saying: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/help-with-my-14u-daughter.41029/post-612279. In the last post of the rockies hitter , you see actually force being applied to the barrel. JMO

the definition of cast: an act of throwing something forcefully... When she extends and drops(casts) she applying force. Or Is that just more leveling?

Blackmon top wrist does what the posters DD does .. he rolls his top wrist before he swings. Is he casting? I don’t think so. Is he dragging his elbow? Nah. He’s preparing to throw the head. Just like her. There isn’t any force applied that could cast until until the hands come forward or down. Blackmon does neither until toe touch. The young hitter before toe touch.

edit: unless you’re ‘on and around’ you will cast immediately to accommodate the early planing and one leggedness. Don’t no one at me. TM has personally said this to me. He doesn’t mind a casting action of the wrists at ‘go’.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So at foot plant, what should her upper body be doing? In the process of turning shoulders? I wonder if she's swinging before the plant foot drops because she's timing the pitcher, maybe worried she'll be too slow?

her head stays back too much after her gather back. My suggestion was to keep the head more forward so she could find a more neutral toe touch position. That should load the shoulders earlier and leverage the hands sooner. Look at pro girls and guys to see where the head moves and how much back and forth she should have relatively speaking to her style.

Oct 2, 2017
the definition of cast: an act of throwing something forcefully... When she extends and drops(casts) she applying force. Or Is that just more leveling?

Blackmon top wrist does what the posters DD does .. he rolls his top wrist before he swings. Is he casting? I don’t think so. Is he dragging his elbow? Nah. He’s preparing to throw the head. Just like her. There isn’t any force applied that could cast until until the hands come forward or down. Blackmon does neither until toe touch. The young hitter before toe touch.

edit: unless you’re ‘on and around’ you will cast immediately to accommodate the early planing and one leggedness. Don’t no one at me. TM has personally said this to me. He doesn’t mind a casting action of the wrists at ‘go’.
The definition of Cast speaks nothing to the mechanics involved in how one actually throws a object. IMO only the "extending and drop is simply the top hand reaching back for more and bottom hand going along with it. . Although I guess one could see it as more leveling (Aiming).

The difference between what Blackmon is doing with his wrist vs the posters DD, is that Blackmon is actually acting on the bat handle vs the posters DD hand just rotates/slips around the handle of the bat, with the top hand independent of the bottom hand. Both the top and bottom hand of Blackmon actually apply force in unison on the bat handle. Posters DD does not. Again look at the following gif. Notice the blue stripe on the top hand batting glove moves independent of the bottom hand with is competely stationary and compare to blackmon that you posted. I personally believe that's because blackmon know how to have active hands especially the bottom hand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802