Helmet sizing! Need help!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
This is a pet peeve of mine when I work clinics with Bustos. Buy helmets that adjust to the kids head, plus girls wear their hair differently and that can influence how the helmet fits. We will spend $300 on a bat and give them a cheap helmet! If you understand vison training this has an impact on the ability to hit a ball . Your eyes can only focus on one moving object at a time. So if your helmet is not tight and your mask moves when you move , your eyes will lose focus of the ball. It amazes us how many kids come to us with helmets that flop around when they swing a bat. A good hitting coach should understand this. Team USA had many vision drills , which are all part of being a good hitter. I have about 4 pages of vision drills , but it all starts with a good fitting helmet.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2011
Thanks to everyone for their input. This has been a constant problem for my DD. She just has a small melon! No helmet fits her correctly. The only one that we found that fits the best is the Rip-It x-small helmet. It is sized just a little smaller than most. Unfortunately the team is using Rawling helmets and they are way too big. I think I will try to install padding first to see if that works. If it doesn't then I will have to take a Rip-It helmet and get it painted to match. The team is using Texas Orange in matte finish. That is going to be FUN to match.....

I also found this:

Amazon.com: Worth Liberty Retro Fit Kit-Foam Insert: Sports & Outdoors

That might do the trick. I will purchase both helmet pad kits and see if I can get to work.

Thanks again guys/gals!

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Schutt makes helmets in different size. My DD is 16 and still wears the XXS. It fits great. When helmets are too large it can affect hitting, base running and safety. My DD used to have to hold on to the face mask to keep it from bouncing when she was running the bases, just to be able to see. We buy a plain colored Schutt helmet and have it airbrushed to match the rest of the team. She has one for high school ball and one for TB. After a disasterous season in 10U with an ill fitting helmet, it's one issue we don't budge on. We made She has to have a helmet that fits. We'll buy it ourselves and neither of her coaches has ever had a problem if it didn't match exactly.

Oct 2, 2012
Thanks to everyone for their input. This has been a constant problem for my DD. She just has a small melon! No helmet fits her correctly. The only one that we found that fits the best is the Rip-It x-small helmet. It is sized just a little smaller than most. Unfortunately the team is using Rawling helmets and they are way too big. I think I will try to install padding first to see if that works. If it doesn't then I will have to take a Rip-It helmet and get it painted to match. The team is using Texas Orange in matte finish. That is going to be FUN to match.....

I was going to suggest the RipIt. My daughter also has a tiny melon and other than a Worth low-profile that was orange and she wore til the padding was shredded, nothing has fit. Her younger sister on the other hand has the opposite problem!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I just bought 12 of the rip it helmets... look great and they come in three sizes. I measured each girls head and made sure she had a perfect fit. Plus the black out technology looks good. But we had originally looked into the rawlings helmet mentioned in the original post...the sizes were not big enough for three of the girls!

Nov 29, 2009
Sparky,
adding an add on foam kit IS making the helmet a correct size. You obviously have never seen one of these kits.

The one thing I'd worry about with an add-on kit is the padding working its way loose with the helmet being taken on and off a few thousand times over the course of the season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl