Best softball home inventions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I'm wanting to build something quite similar, but where the ball is allowed to rotate on the stick.

Just a pitching aid for my DD. She can hold it with the stick pointing straight up and down with the stick on top and work on curve ball spin. Then turn it on its side and work on riseball spin.

But yes, she can just use a ball and throw it to herself. Which is why I haven't built anything. :p

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I'm wanting to build something quite similar, but where the ball is allowed to rotate on the stick.

Just a pitching aid for my DD. She can hold it with the stick pointing straight up and down with the stick on top and work on curve ball spin. Then turn it on its side and work on riseball spin.

But yes, she can just use a ball and throw it to herself. Which is why I haven't built anything. :p
I am trying to visualize that contraption to no avail.

Aug 15, 2021

I feel like I have seen something like this on Paisleyspitching instagram or another pitching coaches sight.

Nov 18, 2015
I feel like I have seen something like this on Paisleyspitching instagram or another pitching coaches sight.
I've seen that was well - it's a dowel, with a bolt on the end that the ball can spin on. - probably a lag bolt (with a metal sheath over the part that passes through the ball), sunk about an inch or so into the dowel. The PC that helps our team has something similar - I'll ask next time I see her.

re: mallet - buy a plunger at HD - they're usually black rubber with an orange handle. The benefit is that the tip is threaded, as mentioned above, but it's much cheaper than buy a longer broom handle and cutting it down. I used spray adhesive, but I'm sure gorilla glue is just as good, if not stronger. I feel the threads would give it a little more physical grip than just an adhesive.

It's also somewhat easy to make a homemade batting tee - lot's of options using radiator / dishwasher hoses on buckets, but I've even managed to make a pseudo-tanner tee. The trickiest parts for me were the ball rest and figuring out how to get enough friction on the inside of the tubes to make it adjustable.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So, the Gorilla Glue ball did not hold well. I think it's the material inside the ball coming loose. The hot glue seems to be holding well still.

Back to the drawing board.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Been meaning to add this for a while, just haven't gotten to it:

I've seen it in both Paulygirl and Tincher to stretch a cord across to get the ball to clear/strike/pass under depending what type of pitch is being worked on. I took it further to build a strike zone using PVC and stretchy cord so pitchers, catchers, and conceivably umpires can see what the strike zone should look like. The cord is light enough so the pitches do not deflect if struck by the ball. I picked it up at Hobby Lobby. The vertical cords are spaced 17" apart and are only attached at the top so they won't tug on the botom cord if struck. Easily adjustable height, I've got it at the bottom of my knee caps up to the bottom of my sternum. I'm going to cut a few inches off the top of the vertical poles so they fit better in my car. I also need to add a little weight in the base legs. Tends to tip easily when not under tension. I used sheet metal screws to hold the joints together instead of adhesive so I can disassemble as needed.

PVC Strike Zone.jpg

PVC Strike Zone String.jpg

PVC Strike Zone String Pack.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee