Helmet sizing! Need help!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
Okay, so here is the deal. My DD was just given her helmet for the team and it is too big. This is a common problem but this year it is more difficult. The helmet that the coaches chose for this year is a Rawlings Texas Orange helmet CFX1MAJ-R1 helmet. The smallest size that Rawlings offers is the Junior size 6-1/2 - 7-1/8". That is too big!

Can anyone help us? What options do we have?

Thanks...

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Unfortunately that helmet only comes in junior and senior, and I believe the padding is wrapped in bio dry cotton cloth. See if you can get the lesser model. Its shell is identical but the foam padding is exposed so you can get the add on foam kit. It simply glues onto the existing padding making it a size smaller.

Nov 29, 2009
Unfortunately that helmet only comes in junior and senior, and I believe the padding is wrapped in bio dry cotton cloth. See if you can get the lesser model. Its shell is identical but the foam padding is exposed so you can get the add on foam kit. It simply glues onto the existing padding making it a size smaller.

Get the kids helmets that fit correctly!!!! It's a safety issue. In order for a helmet to protect a player it MUST fit correctly. Get something close to what the other girls are wearing. No one at the fields will notice as long as the color scheme is close.

Had a girl several years ago who couldn't hit for nothing. Finally I picked up on something small. As the pitcher was entering her windup the girl would lift her chin so she could see the ball. The helmet was too big and bars were falling down into her view when she was hitting so she had to lift her head. Got her the right sized helmet and her hitting improved.

I agree with Sparky Guy....that helmet has to fit right.
Another thing that can radically affect helmet fitting is changing the facemask. When we put an emask on DD2's helmet (at that time a Wilson) it changed the width some. Her head is somewhat narrow, and the helmet no longer fit well. Doing the same thing actually made DD1's and DD2's fit a little better.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

We have used the Worth helmet padding kits with great results. Start with one side, check the fit, then add the second side if necessary.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Get the kids helmets that fit correctly!!!! It's a safety issue. In order for a helmet to protect a player it MUST fit correctly. Get something close to what the other girls are wearing. No one at the fields will notice as long as the color scheme is close.

Had a girl several years ago who couldn't hit for nothing. Finally I picked up on something small. As the pitcher was entering her windup the girl would lift her chin so she could see the ball. The helmet was too big and bars were falling down into her view when she was hitting so she had to lift her head. Got her the right sized helmet and her hitting improved.

We have had players change out the face mask on their batting helmet to accommodate personal preferences. It is not always a helmet size issue - it can depend on how the player holds her head while batting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl