Getting my fix

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Prior to having kids or my kids being old enough to play sports I got my adrenalin rush from hunting and fishing. I fished competitively and I did a lot of bowhunting. Both gave me an adrenalin rush through competition (man vs. fish, man vs. man, man vs. deer, etc...) Over the last two years I have replaced all that with my girls softball playing. I am able to scratch my competitive itch by coaching or helping coach but I have found that I truly love seeing my girls and their team mates make GREAT plays. At this past weekends tournament, My DD's team made so many great plays that it is a wonder I did not OD on adrenalin. I know everyone handles the pressure of games, the excitement of games, and the highs or lows differently. I truly get fired up when I see great plays made by these 9, 10, and 11 year old girls and you see all the practice and hard work come together, especially when it saves the win or gives them the chance to win.
If they could bottle that same feeling I would probably be a serious addict. :) My name is CoachBroker and I am a softball Junkie!

Coach B, this is my first post here but I totally understand what you are saying. At 50, most of my competing days are over, but at one point I traveled all over the country shooting high level 3D archery. I've coached swimming (obviously), wrestling, baseball and this year AC on my DDs 10U rec ball team.

I absolutely love to coach. I love teaching kids and I love watching the younger ones get better when they are on the quick learning curve. Our rec ball organization has almost no interest in anyone under 16 and the quality of SB coaching was terrible. I did not try to take DDs team because I felt that I knew very little about SB pitching and that the HC should be able to do something with the pitchers. Well not one of the 3 teams in our organization had any coaches that knew anything about pitching. DD's coach last year used her as #2 and had very limited knowledge but enough to get her rec ball proficient.

This year she was the organization's "ace". Fortunately we found a PC who went to school with my wife who took her in mid season and has been very cautious with her and has been giving me enough to keep her under control in her games and she did well.

Bottom line was HC asked me at the second game if I could "take third base" and I was basically #1A AC from that day on. Man did I have fun this season. DD improved steadily as did the whole team.

I know it's rec ball, but DD has the bug. I am going to try to HC the fall ball team and see where it goes from there. Complicating factor - DD is a very good swimmer and has qualified two years now for our state YMCA swimming championships which are very competitive.

So I am with you Coach B, but let's say my name is Swim Coach and I am a coaching junkie! And I do love DD playing softball!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234