getting hit with a pitched ball......PONY interpretation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2013
when it comes to getting hit with a pitched ball, ASA makes no distinction about being in or out of the batters box when considering awarding her 1st base (8-1-f). ergo, a slap hitter in front of the box thats gets hit with a pitch, as long as the pitch isnt in the strike zone and she tries to avoid getting hit, is awarded 1st base. in contrast, PONY specifically says that if she gets hit with a pitched ball she needs to be in the batters box when she is hit in order to be awarded 1st base.....so, in PONY, that same slap hitter wont be awarded 1st base when she is hit while out of the box reguardless of her actions or the location of the pitch (9-2 f)........ am i interpreting this correctly?

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Not to be argumentative, but why would the batter be out of the box early enough to be hit by pitch that far in front of the plate?

I honestly don't think this would ever be an issue.

Feb 22, 2013
Not to be argumentative, but why would the batter be out of the box early enough to be hit by pitch that far in front of the plate?

I honestly don't think this would ever be an issue.

My dd threw a pitch last year at an ASA tournament that hit a slapper that had both of her feet out of the box when she was hit by the pitch. The batter was awarded 1st base. I don't believe in ASA that a batter has to make an attempt to get out of the way anymore.

Jun 22, 2008
FED and NCAA are the only 2 I know of currently that not longer require the batter to attempt to avoid, but, that is if the ball is entirely within the batters box.

Apr 12, 2013
My dd threw a pitch last year at an ASA tournament that hit a slapper that had both of her feet out of the box when she was hit by the pitch. The batter was awarded 1st base. I don't believe in ASA that a batter has to make an attempt to get out of the way anymore.

see the exception to 9-2 f....................an attempt to avoid must be made

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
you must not coach any slap hitters

Nope, you are correct. I coach and am father to a pitcher. In 6 years, she has never hit a slapper in front of the box/plate nor have I seen it happen. I'm not saying it can't happen though because obviously it can based on reply's here.

Mar 13, 2010
FED and NCAA are the only 2 I know of currently that not longer require the batter to attempt to avoid, but, that is if the ball is entirely within the batters box.

In NCAA if the batter (ex.slapper) is hit by a pitch out in front of the batter's, assuming that she did not swing or attempt to bunt, the Effect is, No Pitch.

Apr 12, 2013
Nope, you are correct. I coach and am father to a pitcher. In 6 years, she has never hit a slapper in front of the box/plate nor have I seen it happen. I'm not saying it can't happen though because obviously it can based on reply's here.

it doesnt happen often and i'd even say rarely but it does happen from time to time...i was just wondering what the PONY position was on it. ASA doesnt distinguish between being in the batters box or out but it appears that PONY does

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Looks like the first one only states the batter be inside the box before the pitch, second one says HBP in the box is dead ball, advance to first. Don't think either addresses batter in front of the box:

f
The batter must have both feet completely within the lines of the batter’s box prior to the start of the pitch. She may touch the
lines, but no part of her foot may be outside of the lines prior to the pitch.
NOTE: The umpire should hold up the pitch until the
batter is within the lines.

9-2-f
(FP ONLY) When a pitched ball, not struck at or not called a strike, touches any part of the batter’s person or clothing while she is in the batter’s box. It does not matter if the ball strikes the ground before hitting her. The batter’s hands are not part of the bat.

EFFECT:
Sec. 2f: The ball is dead and the batter is entitled to one base without liability to be put out unless she made no effort to avoid being hit. In this case, the plate umpire calls either a ball or a strike

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors