Fouts pitching out of her glove.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
So the coach sees it, and while the pitcher is lunging towards the plate they yell something, and as the ball is in the air the batter hears that and makes an adjustment?

The signal will come from 3rd base coach for righty pitchers, as the pitcher is making the grip, or bringing ball back in their motion. Believe me, there is time. Knowing a change is coming makes a world of difference.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
The signal will come from 3rd base coach for righty pitchers, as the pitcher is making the grip, or bringing ball back in their motion. Believe me, there is time. Knowing a change is coming makes a world of difference.
So if a coaching staff has a coach good at picking pitchers and they play the role of 3rd base coach so they have a better view of the opposing pitcher and can signal the batter, would they move over to 1st base coach when a lefty pitcher goes in?

Oct 26, 2019
As a hitter when I get in the box I am focused on the very difficult task of hitting the ball. I wouldn’t be able to listen for a coach yelling some code word mere seconds before the ball is pitched. Now if I can pick up the tell for myself pre-pitch then game on. In baseball the runner on second usually relays the signal from the catcher, but wristbands and pitch-coms have pretty much eliminated that from happening at the higher levels.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I can say with certainty that if you tried pitch picking in baseball, pre-90s, the next batter would get drilled in the ribs or have a little chin music played. That would end it real quick.

May 27, 2013
As a hitter when I get in the box I am focused on the very difficult task of hitting the ball. I wouldn’t be able to listen for a coach yelling some code word mere seconds before the ball is pitched. Now if I can pick up the tell for myself pre-pitch then game on. In baseball the runner on second usually relays the signal from the catcher, but wristbands and pitch-coms have pretty much eliminated that from happening at the higher levels.
Agreed - I would assume most hitters, once they step in that box, get in their zone and tune out everything else. With all the cheering these players do from both dugouts, and add in cheering from the fans, I don’t know how they’d hear the coach a second before they have to swing the bat.

Oct 26, 2019
Agreed - I would assume most hitters, once they step in that box, get in their zone and tune out everything else. With all the cheering these players do from both dugouts, and add in cheering from the fans, I don’t know how they’d hear the coach a second before they have to swing the bat.
I’m not sure what the softball equivalent would be (maybe the changeup), but I love knowing when the opposing pitcher is throwing a curveball so we can steal on that pitch. Odds of stealing on curveballs in baseball go way up vs a fastball.

May 27, 2013
I’m not sure what the softball equivalent would be (maybe the changeup), but I love knowing when the opposing pitcher is throwing a curveball so we can steal on that pitch. Odds of stealing on curveballs in baseball go way up vs a fastball.
Yeah, I’d say the closest pitch to a curve in baseball is a change up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom