Fouts pitching out of her glove.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
She had always used a swing back or that I can remember anyway. Today against Duke she was pitching out of her glove. Just seemed odd to me for someone at that stage but f there career to change that.

Oct 4, 2018
It does.

However, I asked my DD to try it once. And within 10 pitches she was doing it pretty well. I assume if you can get to 12 o'clock in the right position it matters a bit less how you get there.

Sep 15, 2015
Elish also made this change more than halfway through college, and I am sure there are a number of others that don’t come to mind this very moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
The announcers were commenting on it at one point. I recall them saying something to the effect that she has been working with the new (?) Alabama pitching coach and this is one of the changes they had implemented. Makes it more difficult for batters to recognize grip if it's hidden in the glove longer.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
The announcers were commenting on it at one point. I recall them saying something to the effect that she has been working with the new (?) Alabama pitching coach and this is one of the changes they had implemented. Makes it more difficult for batters to recognize grip if it's hidden in the glove longer.

This is one (of many reasons) why I'm such a fan of pitching out of the glove. A hitter generally won't see the ball until it's coming out of the pitchers hand at release.

Nov 18, 2022
Also less for the batter to time up compared to a big back swing- we got my daughter a few years ago to go out of glove and it has been a great change- she will hold the ball on her hip and when ready to go will step on the rubber and set her grip in glove and fire- typically she will separate around 3ish- when batting she loves watching the pitchers that set their grips on the hip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 21, 2018
Not really arguing against pitching out of the glove, but wondering how much pitch picking actually happens. Abbot, Osterman, Ueno, Ocasio, etc. all use backswings. Is it worth spending the time on? I'm guessing if your DD has switched then you feel like it is, but Fouts didn't seem to be having much trouble before.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
From casual observation--from high-level college play to travel ball of varying levels--the out-of-glove style is gaining greater prominence. My DD (18U) also uses it and transitioned to it in 14U. It does increase deception. However, probably the most important reason my daughter made the switch is that is also greatly simplifies the motion and eliminates a lot of moving parts that sometimes cause problems.

We are now working on my DD putting herself in the sprinter's position or "attack position" and just driving off the rubber from that. Rather than undertaking an additional series of pre-pitch movement to get her in that more optimal "sprinter's position." Again, for her, this is a process of simplifying the movement. She's still getting used to this start, but seems to like it.

Rylee Trlicek--a LHP for the Florida Gators--has also gone to the out-of-glove style and is using this simplified start as well. Very, very different than when she first started out at FL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598