Exactly how to get power to opposite field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I feel like I am seeing more and more Division 1 hitters hitting the outside pitch to center field for Homeruns. I am referring to the outside pitch where the entire ball is still over the plate but it is on the outside 1/5 of the plate. You don't necessarily need to let the ball get that deep to hit the pitch i am describing to center field for power.
I agree. I think their size helps. I also think you gotta know how to hit hard oppo before this works well.

“Getting around the ball- but the good way.”

Maybe “get around the ball a little bit.”

Ol’ Michael Lotief had something about this figured out.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Side toss is a useful drill to develop oppo hitting skills. With side toss you can force the hitter to develop inside out path, contact with deep ball position, hands inside the ball. Start by feeding to front knee and gradually work feed back to the belly button. I also have the hitter start with eyes looking at imaginary pitcher and use verbal cues like coil-ball-fire with toss on "ball" to assist with drill timing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Side toss is a useful drill to develop oppo hitting skills. With side toss you can force the hitter to develop inside out path, contact with deep ball position, hands inside the ball. Start by feeding to front knee and gradually work feed back to the belly button. I also have the hitter start with eyes looking at imaginary pitcher and use verbal cues like coil-ball-fire with toss on "ball" to assist with drill timing.

IMB_2hlz2t.gif

I like this toss as well, hitter initiates the start. Slow feet, ready to swing at release. I also like doing drills from an open stance, which is a loading technique. As Alo is showing. Tosser is deeper.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My concern is this could make players late on inside pitches.

Since you let the outside pitch get (slightly) deeper than the inside pitch, if you're looking outside on a particular pitch, I'd want my hitter to have the discipline to just let inside pitches go unless she's talented enough to adjust or the pitcher doesn't throw hard enough for it to matter.
If the hitters, while expecting outside pitch keeps her hands connected to rear shoulder, she will be good. The second the hand prematurely seperate she has no chance of staying inside the ball on the inside pitch.Chop across weak pop up or foul ball.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My concern is this could make players late on inside pitches.

Since you let the outside pitch get (slightly) deeper than the inside pitch, if you're looking outside on a particular pitch, I'd want my hitter to have the discipline to just let inside pitches go unless she's talented enough to adjust or the pitcher doesn't throw hard enough for it to matter.
If the hitters, while expecting outside pitch keeps her hands connected to rear shoulder, she will be good. The second the hand prematurely seperate she has no chance of staying inside the ball on the inside pitch.Chop across weak pop up or foul ball

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
Keep the back foot grounded for as long as possible. Let the rear hip rotation release the back foot from the ground. Don't pre-turn the back foot. As soon as the back heal releases from the ground, you loose your power.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Here is a look at the position of my dd on an opposite-field home run. Notice that the catcher is straddling the opposite batter's box inside line.

BB home run to right.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach