Educated hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Isn't it both? It can't just be the "turn" since that would be spinning. The hands have to ride connection for some brief period of time. "The hands are along for the ride" was Englishbey's position. He is right when he made comments that the hands can't think for themselves and they can't move themselves through space.

I never understood the hands can’t move themselves. I move them all the time everyday all day. I do get that the hands can’t think for themselves. Pls enlighten me.

I’ll ask this. If the swing is a ‘slingshot’.. what is slinging and whats it shooting? If you have another analogy please describe.

For me the hands which control the arms (draggy otherwise) are the shooter and the bat is what is being shot. The arms would be the slings. The body is the handle. This aligns w tip and rip correct? Hands control the bat during tip n rip right?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Is his hand not leading the movement?

View attachment 28597
Hold your hands and arms out and have the hands move without moving the arms and see how much movement you get. In this demonstration, no, the hands are responding to both shoulder turn and arm movement. When you say are the hands leading the movement, how can they get to where they end up if the shoulders, hips and arms refuse to go along with the movement?

BTW, I'm not the one to enlighten you. As you move those hands each day, have the arms and body take 5 and let the hands do their thing. LOL

Jun 8, 2016
Hold your hands and arms out and have the hands move without moving the arms and see how much movement you get. In this demonstration, no, the hands are responding to both shoulder turn and arm movement. When you say are the hands leading the movement, how can they get to where they end up if the shoulders, hips and arms refuse to go along with the movement?

BTW, I'm not the one to enlighten you. As you move those hands each day, have the arms and body take 5 and let the hands do their thing. LOL
I think the question is do you think about moving the hands and let the arms,shoulders,etc respond or do you think about moving the arms,shoulders,etc..Or are you just reacting without thinking about either.. ;) (obviously the brain is doing something..maybe just not consciously)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Just thinking out loud here, and I am no controls expert, but from an Engineering perspective if you have a system for which you don't know the exact physics or the system isn't deterministic for whatever reason, I think it would make more sense to determine where the thing (hands in this case) nearest the object I want to control (in this case the bat ) needs to be and then from that determine how the things connected to it (arms,shoulders,etc) need to move in order to achieve the best control of the object.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Thanks CB. Not what I meant or mean. Of course things support the hands.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Just thinking out loud here, and I am no controls expert, but from an Engineering perspective if you have a system for which you don't know the exact physics or the system isn't deterministic for whatever reason, I think it would make more sense to determine where the thing (hands in this case) nearest the object I want to control (in this case the bat ) needs to be and then from that determine how the things connected to it (arms,shoulders,etc) need to move in order to achieve the best control of the object.

Yes. The powers that be are trying to figure this out now.They figured out the rest of the system via k vests and force plates and still can’t quite replicate

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff