Educated hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Small adjustments, after initial read of pitch is made, have to be made on almost every pitch and it makes zero sense that the things which are holding the object which needs to be adjusted would not play a role.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think where many go wrong is rolling the top wrist too soon. I think release of the barrel should be done reactively so to speak. It’s automatic if the body and the hands are positioned properly. The hand path will be timed already through ulnar deviation of both wrists upon the perceived contact point. That seems to be Mookies new thing this year, among a few other slight tweaks in path. Steeper or less ‘inside’, more than in the past few years.

1692624931214.gif

That top palm is facing up or forward to an extreme almost. Hands/arms turn left to ensure a longer Palm ‘up’ functionality on inside pitches. Whatever it takes to present the palm to the ball is the feel imo. I think that’s where we see the ‘adjustments’ take place.. the goal is Palm up. Dropping hands, turning left/right or extending arms and some tighter across the face feels are all adjustments to square the ball which is w a top palm that is ‘up’.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
One of the reasons overuse of the tee and meatball/grooved BP is not a good idea.
Tees can and should be used to work on different locations. I agree setting up tee belt high center cut and hitting the ball into a net 5 feet in front of you taking mindless swings while talking about the latest tic toc video is a waste of time. Examples:
Set up tee (or pyline) super low and inside and having hitter figure out how to launch flyballs (not GBs) down the 3rd baseline.
Set tee up a ball outside and very deep and have hitter hit line drives down first baseline.

Set up tee high (riseball) and have hitter stay on top and aim linedrives with the 2nd base bag as the target.
The hands will be getting an education.

Jun 8, 2016
Tees can and should be used to work on different locations. I agree setting up tee belt high center cut and hitting the ball into a net 5 feet in front of you taking mindless swings while talking about the latest tic toc video is a waste of time. Examples:
Set up tee (or pyline) super low and inside and having hitter figure out how to launch flyballs (not GBs) down the 3rd baseline.
Set tee up a ball outside and very deep and have hitter hit line drives down first baseline.

Set up tee high (riseball) and have hitter stay on top and aim linedrives with the 2nd base bag as the target.
The hands will be getting an education.
I said overuse did I not?? We use the tee every session...I just don't think more than 1/3 of your swings should be off it..YYMV though.

If the hitter knows where the pitch is already no adjustments are necessary.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves