Don’t Pitch to Alo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Ever wonder why there aren't limits in youth fastpitch currently?
because the 8u hitten' kitten's need to win every fall game for Suzie's lifetime ERA to stay below 2.0???

I've heard it all.. You can't damage your arm from throwing underhand.. There's not enough pitchers to play the amount of games we play.. My daughter needs to pitch 24/7/365 because I spend $40/week on lessons, etc.

Obviously, these are a little tongue in cheek. I genuinely believe that if it were required in 8u and 10u to develop more pitchers, we'd actually maybe have more pitchers.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Okay could have pitch counts.
Thinking that through a little...
Understandably if the pitchers were restricted there would be more need per team for pitchers
= more pitchers per team= creating more pitching time opportunity.

However to that point of the need for more pitching opportunity
the need for pitchers did grow because the number of teams grew very substantially.

The supply of teams and playing time has already increased regardless of pitch counts.
Perhaps that created less demand for better pitching. And increased demand for anybody who can pitch or throw the ball underhand.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I was amazed when I started watching college softball how many fields still have 200ft fences. We routinely see 12U players that can hit 200+ feet, I thought that 225ft would be the norm. Granted, it's a costly fix to implement, but I do think it would make the game more exciting. Right now you have girls hit it to the fence and barely make it to 2nd base. Making 225 the standard would really open up the game. I don't think you can go bigger than that though, because the short base distance, any bigger and you will get too many extra base hits and inside the park home runs.
The combination of strength training more than ever, hitting mechanics tightening up, bat tech vs. higher velocity pitching. Simply moving back the fences would make the game leveled out, more action and even more outfield discipline.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amc2221