DD starts her HS career tonight....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Curious, what does that mean?

In GA, high school players can play Varsity and JV, but they are limited to participating in the total number of games Varsity plays. Our Varsity season is @ 28 games, so my DD could play say 10 JV games and 18 Varsity games. Any time a player is entered into the lineup, she has "played" in that game, whether it is one pitch or seven innings.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In GA, high school players can play Varsity and JV, but they are limited to participating in the total number of games Varsity plays. Our Varsity season is @ 28 games, so my DD could play say 10 JV games and 18 Varsity games. Any time a player is entered into the lineup, she has "played" in that game, whether it is one pitch or seven innings.

See we don't have that rule in TN. DD played in 47 varsity games ( 2013 ) and could have played in all the Jv games too as long as they are on the same day / same opponent. The game limit is on the program, not the individual.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD - A little disappointed that your otherwise great post didn't end with your daughter hitting a walk-off two run, two out homer in the bottom of the 7th. I mean even if it didn't happen that way, take a little poetic license. :) Seriously - congrats to your DD on a great game and to you for surviving.

DD hit two hard line drives earlier in the game, 3B made a great play on the first one, LF made a nice catch on the 2nd one - opposing coach adjusted the outfield during her second at bat after she almost took the glove off the 3B with her first at bat. As ironic as it was, DD was the first batter in the bottom of the 7th, but I left that out of the story because she got behind in the count 1-2 and had to protect the plate (especially with the umpires pitcher friendly strike zone) and she ended up popping up to the SS for the first out of the inning. Fortunately her teammates were able to pick her up and score two runs in dramatic fashion.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Here in Indiana, the game limitation rule sounds identical. My DD last spring had a very similar story, but she did come out in the fifth. Very odd that with 6 pitchers rostered the bullpen stayed empty???
Good luck, keep us posted.

Jun 18, 2010
I would be VERY CAREFUL about allowing your DD to be overworked. The risk of injury goes up dramatically with overuse. I would talk to the coach about a pitch count and would suggest limiting your DD to a maximum of 150 pitches/day.

28 innings in 2 days, man just be cautious. I know school ball pitching rosters can be too little or too many, but no tourney is worth an injury. I'd at least have a short conversation with the coach, not pushy..........just let him know you're concerned and aware of the situation.

Thanks guys.... We may have dodged one here.... I just got word, due to the heat, they have changed the format to 60 minute timed games... so I don't have to worry about her pitching back-to-back 7 inning games over two days (four - 7 inning games tonight and tomorrow). This situation does raise a red flag for me with the coaching staff. I didn't want to have to intervene in DDs HS ball, especially the very first tournament... normally they don't play that many tournaments it is more 2-3 games per week, during the weekday afternoons.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing