DD starts her HS career tonight....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I thought I would post on update on how things went last night.....DD threw a no-hitter through 5 innings. Umpire was giving the pitchers the inside and outside corners, so it was a tough night for batters. In the 6th inning she gave up two cheesy infield hits and we had one error to give up one run, so we go to the top of the 7th up 3-1. DD was starting to look gassed in the 6th, so I was surprised to see her go back out for the 7th considering we have 6 pitchers on the team, but no one was warming up and the coach apparently did not want to "burn a game" for one of the pitchers on the bench since high school limits the total number of games each player can participate in (and all of our pitchers could play JV or V).

1st batter in 7th my DD gets behind 3-1 in the count, and serves up a meatball that the batter rips to right field for a single - first legit hit DD gave up all game. DD then walks the second batter on 4 straight pitches - did I mention that she was gassed and had already thrown 100+ pitches? Third batter DD gets ahead 1-2 in the count and then hits the batter on the hands with a scrise ball that was a little to far inside. Based loaded nobody out. Next batter hits a single that goes right between my DD's legs......2 runs score - tie ballgame. DD is obviously gassed, but still no activity in the bullpen. Coach comes out to the mound for a conference. No idea what he said, but it obviously helped because my DD struck out the next two batters looking. She then walks another batter, loading the bases again. She gets ahead of the next batter 1-1 and then hits her with a screwball in the calf that she slings to give up the go ahead run. Next batter lines out to 2B to end the inning. I cannot believe that we are about to lose this game after my DD pitched so well for 6 innings. To make a long story a little shorter, we scored two runs in the bottom of the 7th to win 5-4 (other teams pitcher went all 7 innings too), so all is good in the world, but I need to get some heart medication and some sedatives if all of her high school games are going to be this dramatic!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
I have not figured out pitching in school ball yet. It seems like all the Teams put a pitcher out there for the entire game no matter how they are doing.

Dec 19, 2012
I thought I would post on update on how things went last night.....DD threw a no-hitter through 5 innings. Umpire was giving the pitchers the inside and outside corners, so it was a tough night for batters. In the 6th inning she gave up two cheesy infield hits and we had one error to give up one run, so we go to the top of the 7th up 3-1. DD was starting to look gassed in the 6th, so I was surprised to see her go back out for the 7th considering we have 6 pitchers on the team, but no one was warming up and the coach apparently did not want to "burn a game" for one of the pitchers on the bench since high school limits the total number of games each player can participate in (and all of our pitchers could play JV or V).

1st batter in 7th my DD gets behind 3-1 in the count, and serves up a meatball that the batter rips to right field for a single - first legit hit DD gave up all game. DD then walks the second batter on 4 straight pitches - did I mention that she was gassed and had already thrown 100+ pitches? Third batter DD gets ahead 1-2 in the count and then hits the batter on the hands with a scrise ball that was a little to far inside. Based loaded nobody out. Next batter hits a single that goes right between my DD's legs......2 runs score - tie ballgame. DD is obviously gassed, but still no activity in the bullpen. Coach comes out to the mound for a conference. No idea what he said, but it obviously helped because my DD struck out the next two batters looking. She then walks another batter, loading the bases again. She gets ahead of the next batter 1-1 and then hits her with a screwball in the calf that she slings to give up the go ahead run. Next batter lines out to 2B to end the inning. I cannot believe that we are about to lose this game after my DD pitched so well for 6 innings. To make a long story a little shorter, we scored two runs in the bottom of the 7th to win 5-4 (other teams pitcher went all 7 innings too), so all is good in the world, but I need to get some heart medication and some sedatives if all of her high school games are going to be this dramatic!

JAD that is awesome!

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas

Sounds like a great start to the season to me. I think our HS coach does same thing throughout season unless it's a district game or playoff game...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have not figured out pitching in school ball yet. It seems like all the Teams put a pitcher out there for the entire game no matter how they are doing.

With only 21 players between JV and V, we are shorthanded this season, so @ 9 players are playing both. The total number of games a player can participate in is limited, so the coach is hesitant to "burn a game" for just one inning.

Jun 18, 2010
My DD's high school team has 21 players between JV and Varsity. There are @ 6 full time Varsity players (Juniors and Seniors), and @ 6 full time JV players (Freshman and Sophomores). That leaves @ 9 players who are playing both (Freshmen and Sophomores). My DD has started two games so far this season - one varsity and one JV, and she pitched well in both. I think she is getting the varsity start tomorrow night against our biggest rival and I would be lying if I said I was not a little nervous!

JAD, sounds like I am in a similar situation as you. DD made Varsity but do to an injury to the other Freshman pitcher, she will be dual rostering between JV and Varsity. Her first start will be a round robin JV tourney Wednesday and Thursday this week. I have to say I am concerned since she has been told she will be pitching all four games, two Wednesday evening and two Thursday evening. After reading your post about your DD getting a little warn out toward the end of her 7 inning game, I hope DD has the endurance to pitch two back-to-back on consecutive days. I am really torn about saying something to the HC about his expectations and the number of games/innings he thinks is ok for her to play in a short period of time. I don't want to come off as too pushy, but I'd rather she share the circle time... there just isn't anyone else to share it with....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD, sounds like I am in a similar situation as you. DD made Varsity but do to an injury to the other Freshman pitcher, she will be dual rostering between JV and Varsity. Her first start will be a round robin JV tourney Wednesday and Thursday this week. I have to say I am concerned since she has been told she will be pitching all four games, two Wednesday evening and two Thursday evening. After reading your post about your DD getting a little warn out toward the end of her 7 inning game, I hope DD has the endurance to pitch two back-to-back on consecutive days. I am really torn about saying something to the HC about his expectations and the number of games/innings he thinks is ok for her to play in a short period of time. I don't want to come off as too pushy, but I'd rather she share the circle time... there just isn't anyone else to share it with....

I would be VERY CAREFUL about allowing your DD to be overworked. The risk of injury goes up dramatically with overuse. I would talk to the coach about a pitch count and would suggest limiting your DD to a maximum of 150 pitches/day.

Sep 18, 2011
JAD - A little disappointed that your otherwise great post didn't end with your daughter hitting a walk-off two run, two out homer in the bottom of the 7th. I mean even if it didn't happen that way, take a little poetic license. :) Seriously - congrats to your DD on a great game and to you for surviving.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
With only 21 players between JV and V, we are shorthanded this season, so @ 9 players are playing both.

Don't worry, it can always get worse. lol We started the season with 19 between V and JV, after injuries and a kick off we had 15.

The total number of games a player can participate in is limited

Curious, what does that mean?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

28 innings in 2 days, man just be cautious. I know school ball pitching rosters can be too little or too many, but no tourney is worth an injury. I'd at least have a short conversation with the coach, not pushy..........just let him know you're concerned and aware of the situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing