Daily trivia

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Well, you're 0 for 2 there buddy!

Just havin' a bit of fun with you...the correct answer has been posted already, numerous times.

LOL

Hey I wasn't going for the obvious answers here......... But since Amy hasn't gotten back to us, I may still have a chance on being right. Plus umps have been known to call or make some questionable rulings.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, it was HBP. Dead ball. Take your base. On the other site there are still people saying the hands are part of the bat. They pose this question, in various forms a few times a year and people still get it wrong.

Nov 3, 2012
The moral of this story is tell your DD to shake her hand wildly and hop around on one foot so the ump is convinced it hit her and not the bat. ;)

The frustrating part was she was shaking her hand wildly and she was about ready to cry. I even yelled from the stands "it hit her". Ump heard me and it, didnt mean anything to the ump. I think the ump didnt understand the rule. I should of mailed the ump the $500 bill from the X-ray technician.

Jun 22, 2008
The frustrating part was she was shaking her hand wildly and she was about ready to cry. I even yelled from the stands "it hit her". Ump heard me and it, didnt mean anything to the ump. I think the ump didnt understand the rule. I should of mailed the ump the $500 bill from the X-ray technician.

It is possible for the ball to hit the bat first and then the hands. If it does, then it is a dead ball strike, not a HBP.

Nov 29, 2009
Oh, it was HBP. Dead ball. Take your base. On the other site there are still people saying the hands are part of the bat. They pose this question, in various forms a few times a year and people still get it wrong.

Had that exact situation happen last weekend to one of my batters. I'm at third base and sure as heck I hear out of the opposing team dugout. "Aren't the hands part of the bat?" come from one of the coaches. I turned to the dugout and asked the coach if he ever bought a bat that had hands attached? He looked at me like I was trying to be an idiot. Then I told him that is THE oldest myth in softball and baseball. I doubt he was convinced, but my batter was heading down to 1st base.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It is possible for the ball to hit the bat first and then the hands. If it does, then it is a dead ball strike, not a HBP.

And people who can claim they can tell that occurred should apply for a job with NASA as a calibrator for the Hubble telescope. :)

Jul 6, 2013

Just wait till one of them has a dd in a game with two strikes, swing at a pitch that hits her square on the hands and they call a dead ball strike out. That'll make it clear as mud for them. Lol.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What - No prize?
;-)

images