Daddy Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2017
Some coaches are good, some are bad. Some try, some don't. Some are parents, some aren't.

My concern with Daddy Ball is that Daddy is a guy, and a guy who probably never played softball. Every dad coach I've known (including myself) is basically applying their baseball experience from decades ago to these girls and softball. Or they rush to YouTube to get something to work on because they just don't know. I'm glad they know they need help, but sometimes it seems they're only one step ahead of the girls and struggling to stay ahead. I'm sure there are exceptions.

I prefer female coaches who played softball (in college). They know the most current drills, how travel ball was when they were 12, etc. etc. They're just in a better place to provide these girls with what they need.

I'd warn against chosing a coach just because they have played softball in college. Coaching and playing are two different animals. I've seen former players that make good coaches and former players that make bad coaches.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2015
most all the skills are transferable with the main exceptions being pitching and slapping. The defensive strategies can be learned with an open mind.

The biggest differences between softball vs baseball are the base running rules:

-no leadoffs
-no balks
-hesitation
-look back rule
-intl tie breaker
-automatic interference if batted ball hits runner
-more stringent obstruction rules
-etc

Has to do with the smaller size of the field.

Oct 4, 2018
I know there is a saying that "those who can't teach", but in reality, a great coach/teacher is not necessarily the most talented at the game.

... and sometimes they are.

So many great coaches played softball in college. You simply can't generalize that they're good or they're bad. If you've seen some bad ones and then say "it never works", that's just wrong. Same as if you see good ones and say "it always works".

Of course you want a good coach. Out of equally good coaches, I personally prefer a female, and someone who played competitive travel ball and college ball. The things they can provide our girls just can't be done by a dad.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Of course you want a good coach. Out of equally good coaches, I personally prefer a female, and someone who played competitive travel ball and college ball. The things they can provide our girls just can't be done by a dad.
I agree with this, I could dissect this comment some but I won’t, but generally I do agree with this!

May 6, 2015
I definitely think, all other things being equal, a female coach can certainly provide insight and connect with the girls in a way that male coaches cannot. that being said, there are excellent male coaches.

maybe my one reccomendation would be for male coaches, HC in particular, to work to getting one female on their staff. just having someone on staff the girls can relate to a little better can make a difference.

DD has played for all male coaching staffs, female HC with male and female assistance, and male HC with female assistants. she has generally felt more comfortable talking to female coaches about any issues she may be having. she goes to a female catching and hitting instructor currently, who used to be one of her HCs.

Oct 4, 2018
I definitely think, all other things being equal, a female coach can certainly provide insight and connect with the girls in a way that male coaches cannot. that being said, there are excellent male coaches.

maybe my one reccomendation would be for male coaches, HC in particular, to work to getting one female on their staff. just having someone on staff the girls can relate to a little better can make a difference.

DD has played for all male coaching staffs, female HC with male and female assistance, and male HC with female assistants. she has generally felt more comfortable talking to female coaches about any issues she may be having. she goes to a female catching and hitting instructor currently, who used to be one of her HCs.

Yes, very good point.

I have noticed considerably more female assistant coaches this year. Perhaps just a coincidence, but I don't think so.

This last weekend a team at our tournament had a girl "become a woman" during the tournament. Her parents weren't at the game. The all-male coaching staff went like this:

AC1 -- deer in headlights
AC2 -- went to get the first aid kit
HC -- texted the mom and said "get the F#@* down here immediately"

The girl didn't play any more that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member