Daddy Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2020
I don’t get the dislike of Daddy Ball. For my older kids that all they knew was daddy ball. I coached all their travel team’s softball, track, basketball, and for the boy’s travel football team (yes in Texas we had tackle travel football in the spring)

The memories-- the fun times.

Heck the arguments; the days I taught maybe its time for me to stop coaching my kids. MAN those were great times-- I wouldn’t let another man or woman have that time with my child for the world.

My 29 year old was home and she didn’t realize I was in the house. One of her old high school friends dropped by. The young lady asked how coach was doing (it’s awesome to be referred to as coach after all these years.) My daughter said where he always is --- on some field somewhere with a bunch of the kids no one thinks is any good. Then the young lady replied yea your Dad is good at finding a diamond in the rough—look at me.

That young lady played all four years at a D1. My eyes started to water…..getting old.

Now that my wife and I have started over. With my babies I am enjoying coaching daddy ball even more. I understand how precious time is and I know no one has a better track record than me or has stronger interest in their success than me.

Top that off with its just fun……a lot of fun.

For all you Daddy and Mommy ran tournament teams/clubs…..Continue to do what you do!!! And take allot of pictures because one day your grand kids will not believe you when you tell them Mommy jacked “so and so” for three home runs in a game!!!!!!

So, see you non daddy/mommy ball teams on field …… oh yea I talk allot of smack!!! So, don’t lose to my GIRLS!!!! HA HA HA

May 6, 2015
tamss13, sounds like you are an exception that proves the rule!

honestly, youth sports would be in dire straights without parents involved. simply how most rec and new travel teams start.

"Daddy Ball" refers to situations where parent starts travel team only because DD or DS did not make another team, the coaches kid(s) play nearly very inning at their preferred position (regardless of ability, errors, etc.), etc. what tamss13 describes is simply (but nor merely) a parent getting involved in order to provide opportunities for not only their child, but other children as well. to be commended and encouraged.

Mar 28, 2020
tamss13, sounds like you are an exception that proves the rule!

honestly, youth sports would be in dire straights without parents involved. simply how most rec and new travel teams start.

"Daddy Ball" refers to situations where parent starts travel team only because DD or DS did not make another team, the coaches kid(s) play nearly very inning at their preferred position (regardless of ability, errors, etc.), etc. what tamss13 describes is simply (but nor merely) a parent getting involved in order to provide opportunities for not only their child, but other children as well. to be commended and encouraged.

Oh crap that is what Daddy Ball means.....oh.....well I stand corrected.....I hear (allot) in team recruitments: non parent coaches -- as if that makes the team better.

But if it means that kid who can't stop a ball at short but because their dad is coaching they will remain at short.....that makes sense. Or the kid that can't pitch to save their lives but is the ACE because of Daddy ... I stand corrected

May 6, 2015
I hear (allot) in team recruitments: non parent coaches -- as if that makes the team better.
it does eliminate (assuming no other connections between players and coaching staff) the chance of the team being a D level team ("D" is for daddy), but there are a lot of very good teams coached (and well coached) by parent coaches.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
it does eliminate (assuming no other connections between players and coaching staff) the chance of the team being a D level team ("D" is for daddy), but there are a lot of very good teams coached (and well coached) by parent coaches.
Non parent coaches....may or may not make it better. It depends on the coach, their experience, their approach and style. So many trash "parents" coaching and label it "daddy ball". When in reality most parents are tougher on their own kid. SOME people like to use the "daddy ball" excuse for why their kid isn't playing or getting better etc etc etc.

Ran across this FB post recently and I thought the person summed up the majority of the parents. (Majority...not all)

POST BELOW:

I want to give those of you who like to use the “daddy ball” excuse for everything a little perspective..
Most of these dads who are coaching your kids aren’t getting paid.. they are doing it because they love the game. And while some might give their kid special treatment, most are treating their kid much worse to avoid the stigma.
These dads are spending nights of the week and entire weekends away from their family and their other kids to be with YOUR kids.
They are taking care of rosters, lineups, practice plans, fielding complaints from upset parents, constantly worrying about parents gossiping behind their back, stressing out about losing kids to other team’s, and trying their best to keep everyone happy (which if you haven’t figured it out by now is impossible.)
They do ALL of this for FREE, in fact in most cases they are using their own money for equipment, gas, paying the remainder when a kid falls short, or picking up the excess when a kid quits mid season.
Why would they do all of this? Well for me.. it’s about sharing my passion for the game with others.. it’s about being able to spend time with my daughter doing something we both enjoy.. it’s about making memories and it’s about seeing that smile on a kids face when they finally get something they have been working on. It’s about all the failures that make the successes feel so great. It’s about seeing a stud inside a kid that no one else has given a chance, and believing in them... It’s about the relationships and the friendships that will last a lifetime.
So while there are some bad apples.. some dads who get into it for the wrong reasons, and give others a bad name... I would say that’s not the rule.. it’s the exception.. this term “daddy ball” is an insult to all the dads out there who are doing it for the right reasons with little to no recognition... Keep ur head up fellas don’t let bitter parents and ungrateful kids keeping you from impacting lives in a positive way.. The game needs you and the kids need you..

Oct 4, 2018
Some coaches are good, some are bad. Some try, some don't. Some are parents, some aren't.

My concern with Daddy Ball is that Daddy is a guy, and a guy who probably never played softball. Every dad coach I've known (including myself) is basically applying their baseball experience from decades ago to these girls and softball. Or they rush to YouTube to get something to work on because they just don't know. I'm glad they know they need help, but sometimes it seems they're only one step ahead of the girls and struggling to stay ahead. I'm sure there are exceptions.

I prefer female coaches who played softball (in college). They know the most current drills, how travel ball was when they were 12, etc. etc. They're just in a better place to provide these girls with what they need.

Apr 23, 2020
SE Wisconsin
I prefer female coaches who played softball (in college). They know the most current drills, how travel ball was when they were 12, etc. etc. They're just in a better place to provide these girls with what they need.

We have sought out the above for clinics / lessons. But not enough of these types of coaches to go around (especially on a budget that requires volunteer coaches).

Status
Not open for further replies.