Daddy Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Love your story tams, but that isn’t the “Daddy Ball” that’s often referenced around here! Yours is the awesome kind that I’d like to hear more of!

Your story reminds me of someone? :unsure:

Jun 8, 2016
Some coaches are good, some are bad. Some try, some don't. Some are parents, some aren't.

My concern with Daddy Ball is that Daddy is a guy, and a guy who probably never played softball. Every dad coach I've known (including myself) is basically applying their baseball experience from decades ago to these girls and softball. Or they rush to YouTube to get something to work on because they just don't know. I'm glad they know they need help, but sometimes it seems they're only one step ahead of the girls and struggling to stay ahead. I'm sure there are exceptions.

I prefer female coaches who played softball (in college). They know the most current drills, how travel ball was when they were 12, etc. etc. They're just in a better place to provide these girls with what they need.
90% (or more) of fundamentals (fielding,throwing,hitting) carry over from baseball. That number is lower in terms of in-game coaching but not so high that a guy who is willing to learn cannot pick it up fairly quickly imo. I will agree that the mental/social aspect may be the most difficult part for a male coach to be able to handle, in particular from about the ages 12U-16U, since most guys even after 20 years of marriage still cannot figure out their wife :LOL: . It can be accomplished though if a coach is able observe and listen to his team.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
90% (or more) of fundamentals (fielding,throwing,hitting) carry over from baseball. That number is lower in terms of in-game coaching but not so high that a guy who is willing to learn cannot pick it up fairly quickly imo. I will agree that the mental/social aspect may be the most difficult part for a male coach to be able to handle, in particular from about the ages 12U-16U, since most guys even after 20 years of marriage still cannot figure out their wife :LOL: . It can be accomplished though if a coach is able observe and listen to his team.

Sorry, it's less that it's baseball. More that it's state-of-the-art 1978.

Though I did have a daddy coach ask the pitcher to cover first on a ground ball to the first baseman. That was an interesting practice to watch.

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry, it's less that it's baseball. More that it's state-of-the-art 1978.
What? If you mean less than 90% tell me what about throwing,catching or hitting fundamentals is different in softball.

Edit: NVM, I understand what you meant and yes that is probably true to some extent but I am not sure that that is a baseball vs. softball thing more like a generational thing.

Oct 4, 2018
What? If you mean less than 90% tell me what about throwing,catching or hitting fundamentals is different in softball.

Edit: NVM, I understand what you meant and yes that is probably true to some extent but I am not sure that that is a baseball vs. softball thing more like a generational thing.

Agreed. They are sharing their knowledge of the game, which is from 30 years ago and a different game. The 30-years ago is much more the issue.

Nov 4, 2015
Most of the dad coaches mean well. The ones that played baseball, and even slowpitch softball, and know the games will take the time to learn the differences in fastpitch. I agree with Pattar that most all the skills are transferable with the main exceptions being pitching and slapping. The defensive strategies can be learned with an open mind.

Jul 14, 2018
In my last (horrid) experience with daddy ball, one of the biggest issues was that the coach relied on personal connections to put the team together. It wasn’t just that he favored his own daughter (he did), but there was a group of 7-8 girls that he built the team around that played every inning of every game while the 4-5 girls he picked up from tryouts were left to rotate between two positions. The coaches all socialized together, so he wasn’t going to do anything to jeopardize those off-the-field relationships.

Ironically, the team blew up and took most of those relationships with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
IMO, and my experience says that just because a player played D1 they should automatically be a good coach. I don't see it very often. Most of the TB teams that have former D1 coaches are not very good. Just saying.
Back to Daddy Ball. If you are going to be Dad Coach your DD needs to be undeniably one of the top 3 or 4 players on the team. Otherwise your life will be miserable.

Nov 4, 2015
IMO, and my experience says that just because a player played D1 they should automatically be a good coach. I don't see it very often. Most of the TB teams that have former D1 coaches are not very good. Just saying.
Back to Daddy Ball. If you are going to be Dad Coach your DD needs to be undeniably one of the top 3 or 4 players on the team. Otherwise your life will be miserable.

This last sentence is very true. It will also cause you to sit your kid more than they should to try to prevent issues. Not fair to the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles