D3K on Bunt Attempt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I would like to get opinions on this. Playing Little League rules for majors. There isn't house rules on this. Two strikes and the batter squares to bunt. She missed the bunt, and the catcher drops it. She runs to 1st and arrives safely. Blue calls her out for bunting on third strike stating it is the same as a foul. My interpretation is that it is a strike and not a foul, and therefore D3K is in effect. These are 11-12 year olds in rec ball so we discussed and moved on. But we just want to get it right for the future. Opinions?

EDIT: Just realized I posted in this forum instead of rules.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
I would like to get opinions on this. Playing Little League rules for majors. There isn't house rules on this. Two strikes and the batter squares to bunt. She missed the bunt, and the catcher drops it. She runs to 1st and arrives safely. Blue calls her out for bunting on third strike stating it is the same as a foul. My interpretation is that it is a strike and not a foul, and therefore D3K is in effect. These are 11-12 year olds in rec ball so we discussed and moved on. But we just want to get it right for the future. Opinions?

EDIT: Just realized I posted in this forum instead of rules.
Ump was wrong. A missed bunt attempt is not treated differently than a missed swing.

May 29, 2015
Bunting with 2 strikes?!? :)

I like her moxy! I love a well executed 2-strike bunt. OK, maybe that one wasn't well executed. Or was it? :unsure:

No opinions ... rule book is pretty clear. You were right, umpire was wrong. Thank you for discussing, moving on, and ensuring they get it right next time. I like the way you handled it.

May 8, 2009
Florida
Thank you all for your replies. I showed the HC my research on this and he had came up with the same conclusion. We will make sure the call is correct if it happens again. On an another note, the player took it upon herself to try the bunt. So we created a sign for her to use. She dropped a nice one last night.

May 18, 2022
I've seen it in HS ball where you might have a large range of experience/talent where a bunt attempt on 2 strikes might be the best opportunity for a girl to put the ball in play.

May 20, 2015
i love a 2 strike bunt......

i had a couple girls who can get it down.....so i trusted them......one was probably 85+% safe on bunts in play.......but was more like 95% when she got the 2 strike bunt down

but i've also had girls who were so overmatched on the 1st two strikes, that a 2 srike bunt attempt was their best chance to get on lol

Nov 18, 2015
Thank you all for your replies. I showed the HC my research on this and he had came up with the same conclusion. We will make sure the call is correct if it happens again. On an another note, the player took it upon herself to try the bunt. So we created a sign for her to use. She dropped a nice one last night.
Just know that now that you fully understand the rule - you've doomed yourself to never again having the chance to successfully argue the point.

It's softball karma. The best you can hope for is to keep studying up on the nuances of rules like this, as a way to eliminate them from ever actually happening to your team. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying