NCAA Slapper rules are unfair

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
Decided to start a new thread for this after reading a recent thread on rules for slappers and I was surprised nobody brought this up.

(Full disclosure my DD is a college freshman slapper)

What is the possible rational for the college rule that states a slapper is considered out of the box if any portion of their foot is out of the box at contact when every other rule in the sport uses the completely outside of the line plate etc.. for example a ball is in play if 7/8 of it is foul but 1/8 touches the line. Home run grazes the foul side of the pole, same thing. If a pitch catches even a millimeter of the strike zone it is considered in the zone for a strike and the worst of all a pitchers foot has to be completely outside of the lane to be considered an illegal pitch, as if they ever call this anyway.

Why the special hate for slappers with a toe over the line???

Dec 15, 2018
CT
According to the NCAA, the reason is not hate for slappers, but that the previous penalty was too harsh:

"11.2.5 Legal Position in the Batter’s Box: At the moment of bat-ball contact, the batter may not contact the pitch when any part of her body is touching the ground outside the lines of the batter’s box.

EFFECT – Delayed dead ball is signaled. The coach of the defensive team shall choose either the result of the play or the standard effect for illegal contact, which is a strike on the batter and all base runners must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch. If it is the third strike, the batter is declared out.

Rationale: To create consistency with the penalty for an illegal pitch by the pitcher. The current effect for illegal contact of the pitch by the batter is too harsh."

Nov 5, 2014
According to the NCAA, the reason is not hate for slappers, but that the previous penalty was too harsh:

"11.2.5 Legal Position in the Batter’s Box: At the moment of bat-ball contact, the batter may not contact the pitch when any part of her body is touching the ground outside the lines of the batter’s box.

EFFECT – Delayed dead ball is signaled. The coach of the defensive team shall choose either the result of the play or the standard effect for illegal contact, which is a strike on the batter and all base runners must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch. If it is the third strike, the batter is declared out.

Rationale: To create consistency with the penalty for an illegal pitch by the pitcher. The current effect for illegal contact of the pitch by the batter is too harsh."
I understand why they wanted to standardize the penalties.

That still does not explain why any portion over the line only counts as out of the box, fair territory, strike zone, etc when it comes to a slapper being out of the box vs the other situations I mentioned.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

That still does not explain why any portion over the line only counts as out of the box, fair territory, strike zone, etc when it comes to a slapper being out of the box vs the other situations I mentioned.
Along with post #2 well written explanation.
Perhaps you can feel better about it knowing the rule applies to right-handed batters also.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

That still does not explain why any portion over the line only counts as out of the box, fair territory, strike zone, etc when it comes to a slapper being out of the box vs the other situations I mention

Do you feel your daughter is at a disadvantage now?

How much of her foot lands as she's making contact?
Does she land on her toe into sprinting or does she land with her whole foot?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
Do you feel your daughter is at a disadvantage now?

How much of her foot lands as she's making contact?
Does she land on her toe into sprinting or does she land with her whole foot?
My post wasn't related to my DD. She hasn't had much of an issue with being called out of the box. It was more of a general observation that I couldn't understand why the NCAA changed the definition of being inside a given area on the field only for this situation and yes I know the rule applies to all batters but we all know it was changed specifically for slappers.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The NCAA rule book has a lot of stupid stuff. This is probably the dumbest though for the reasons you mentioned.

The lines are "in" in this sport. In every other possible scenario, line = in. It's mind-boggling that they would consider the line to be out in this case, but every time the NCAA decides to do something with the rules, they make things worse.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802